To My Haters, Much Obliged

To My Haters, Much Obliged

I really do mean it when I say thank you, because the long journey of life needs a few haters along the way, it builds character.

Caitlin Yannizzi
13

The haters gonna hate, but just like Taylor Swift told me to do, I am gonna shake it off. Haters, this one is for you. I truly owe a lot to you. Your cruel words and snide remarks motivated me to be the genuine, young woman I am today. For those of you who thought I wouldn’t amount to anything big, you were wrong. I might not be superwoman but believe me, I am working towards it.

For years, I tried so hard to impress you and I can see now that it was all a waste of time, because nothing I ever did would have been good enough. I thank you for never believing in me, especially when I did not believe in myself, because it only pushed me to work harder at achieving my goals. My success would be meaningless without all of your negative vibes and comments radiating their way into my life. My name would not be known to the world without you spewing it out of your mouth for all to hear.

My mother always tells me that not everyone is going to like me or be a fan of the person I am, and boy was she right. Your hatred towards me and actions have proven my mother right once again. She warned me about people like you. She said that at the end of the day the only person’s happiness who matters is your own and you helped me believe every word she said. I really do mean it when I say thank you, because the long road of life needs a few haters along the way, it builds character. I guess. To be honest, I am truly flattered that I hold such relevance in your life, that I am a constant topic of conversation. Your ignorance challenges me to go above and beyond society’s expectations and be the best version of myself that I can be. All of the people out there that told me I can’t, I want you to sit back and watch. It may take time, but I WILL- and that is a promise, certainly not a threat.

All jokes aside, despite how sarcastic this all may sound, I am thankful to have people who doubt me and my abilities to succeed and thrive in today’s world. I too doubt myself sometimes, because of who I am and the qualities I possess, those I have power over and certainly those I do not. However, your doubts fuel me to create a better tomorrow for myself and keep moving forward. No matter what, I will always keep a smile on my face and my glass half full because not only am I proud of myself and all I have become and all that I continue to accomplish, but because I know how angry it makes all of my haters to see that I am doing more than okay, and I am happier than ever. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I owe you… absolutely nothing!

XOXO,

The Girl Who Never Stopped Smiling