Shout Your Voice With Your Vote
News

Shout Your Voice With Your Vote

Marching along the streets of your hometown and shouting your feelings or carrying a sign is the first step in making change, but it isn't the only step.

37
Shout Your Voice With Your Vote

I am from a generation that lived through civil rights marches, equal rights protests, as well as marches, protests, and riots against the Vietnam War. I never thought I would be witnessing this nation returning to the streets to fight the injustices that plague us again because the people we expect to protect us are ignoring and killing us.

The lynching of George Floyd is the straw that broke the camel's back. However, the White House calls the protestors "thugs" and threatened to use military force to stop them. Most of the country has set their sights on making changes at any cost. There is a large majority of people that are tired of the rhetoric coming from the people in power and time has come to use our voices and votes in the way the constitution allows.

I am all for it, time to call an end to the abuse of power. But how are we going to do that? It's not the next five months but the next five years that will be the measure of any change. We can applaud the first step of getting the powers that be to file charges against the four police officers that committed the most egregious act of violence on an unarmed man. Yet that is a tiny step in a long journey.

The people of the United States must enact change from their hometowns up to the White House. It is local government agencies that are ultimately responsible for the actions of their employees. It is our responsibility to make the Mayors, Police Chiefs, and District Attorneys accountable. If a police officer feels he has the right to kneel on a man's neck until he is dead, then we must ask who gave him that right?

Why are the men and women in police uniforms trained in military tactics and given weapons that are typically used for war? We are not a third world country, most of the streets are safe and violence is not the norm. A glaring example of the misuse of military and police force is the Monday evening barrage of tear gas, rubber bullets, and flash bombs used to move non-violent protesters away from the historic St. John's Church in Lafayette Park so the President could flex his muscle and get a photo op.

So how do we move forward? It isn't going home and acting like the President and thinking you have won the battle. The battle is just beginning. Of course, you can pat yourself on the back for taking a stand and making your voices heard. It's invigorating and promising to see we all have a collective voice; we all care about each other we all want to change our piece of the world. Yes, it does take your vote, just like your march on the streets of your hometown, your vote matters and counts as well.

However, who do you want to vote for? Now is the time to find the right candidate to be the face of your city, municipality, or borough. Don't rely on the last person in the position, because he or she has been your mayor does not mean they have done their job. Do you know what position your mayor stands on each issue that affects your life? Do you know what the city's budget is on all the programs that affect your daily life? Can you rely on the police, fire department, and even the judges in your community to put your needs ahead of their own when doing their jobs?

These are only some of the questions that each of us needs to learn before we cast our votes. Yet, if there is not a candidate that meets your needs, that does not mean you don't vote, it means you find someone that meets your needs and encourage them to run. If they won't then maybe it is your civic duty to run and make the changes you know will help others in your community. Marching along the streets of your hometown and shouting your feelings or carrying a sign is the first step in making change, but it isn't the only step.