Should I Rush A Sorority?

Should I Rush A Sorority?

16
Should I Rush A Sorority?

On Oct. 1, the link to sign up for Panhellenic recruitment opened. For me, there was no question about whether or not to go through recruitment, but for some the decision is a little more difficult. Joining a sorority is absolutely the best thing to ever happen to me. Recruitment was difficult. In fact, the whole process is not glamorous, because it is hard work and a bit chilly the first weekend of January, but every single aspect of it is worth it because of everything you gain.

First of all, if you have any doubts about recruitment because of the process, the best piece of advice I can give you is to just trust it. Everything works out the way it is supposed to. I, along with everyone I know, ended up where it was a perfect fit for each of us, and everyone is really happy. 

If your financial situation is something you are worried about, there will be a breakdown of that, too. When you go through the process, your Rho Gamma --otherwise known as your recruitment counselor -- is the best person you will ever meet because of her kindness and dedication. She will hand you a sheet with exact breakdowns of all the different sororities' costs and fees.  

Without a doubt, the best part of going through sorority recruitment -- other than the family you could find yourself apart of -- is the experience and the lessons you learn. You become friends with people on your floor that you may not have gotten to know, otherwise. You learn a lot about yourself, and you find out what is truly important to you. Although you will see 22 chapters -- and they are all amazing -- there will be one that truly exhibits the values you hold close to your heart. 

If you have any doubt in your mind about whether or not to sign up for recruitment, I say do it. It is an experience that not only leads you to the girls who will become your sisters, but it also introduces you to people, experiences and friends you would not have had the opportunity to meet. It opens you up to sharing yourself and your values with girls who believe in the same things, and that is not something you are able to do every day. It also teaches you how to be strong, how to cope with situations that may not turn out the way you expected, and how to embrace every opportunity you are given, even if you don't understand it at the time. Recruitment taught me a lot about myself, and I know that I am stronger, happier and know exactly what I value in sisters. 

Go through recruitment even if you just want to see what it is all about. You can gain the experience of meeting phenomenal women with wonderful ideas, aspirations, words of encouragement and chapters full of love and support.