Should College Students Pay Tuition Based On What They're Majoring In?

Florida's already thinking of reducing tuition for select majors, should other states do the same?

170
via Pexels

College tuition is very high for some students, even with financial aid and if they are working while in college. Many of these students want their tuition rates to be lowered and recently a new bill has been written on making CUNY schools free for students...with a few conditions, of course. But, there has been a lot of debate on whether low-priced colleges would be worth going to. Would they have as many opportunities and activities as high-paying colleges? Would students be motivated enough to do well if they’re just getting everything for free? How do you find a middle ground with all of that at risk?

No student pays the same amount of tuition, but what if they could? What if a student’s tuition was based on what they were studying? Well, the state of Florida might be trying it out soon to see how it fares out with their college students.

According to a New York Times article, “Governor Scott and Republican lawmakers are prodding Florida’s 12 state universities to find ways to steer students toward majors that are in demand in the job market.” and their way of doing that is by freezing tuition rates for those majoring in engineering, science, healthcare, and technology. And while that might motivate those who are thinking of pursuing careers in those fields, what about those who aren’t? What about those students who want to be writers, fashion designers, musicians, or business leaders? Don’t they deserve a fair and equal shot too?

Tuition rates have been increasing significantly as time goes by. Sure, it's because colleges are getting more and more advanced technologies and more unique experiences and that costs money to provide, so it's understandable in that sense, but there has to be some way to have lower tuition rates and keep students motivated and challenged to keep pursuing a degree. Sure there can be some kind of comprise where both sides — students and the college itself — both get what they want and need.

I personally think that tuition rates should be lowered because so many college students are graduating with thousands of dollar in debt and while going to an Ivy League or private school feels like an accomplishment, at the same time, they're living in constant fear of how they're going to pay for their future after they're done with school. Financially, what Governor Scott is proposing does seem ideal, but in the long-run, if everyone's out there trying to be a doctor or a scientist or an engineer, won't there be more competition to be the best? Besides the world needs more than caretakers and builders, we need writers and artists and musicians just as much.

What do you think we should do?