Should Celebrities Go Above And Beyond Their Job Descriptions?

Believe it or not, celebrities are humans too.

12
Rsvlts.com

In this day and age, it’s expected we'll see photographs of singers, models, actors and the like. They are mobbed by people trying to take their picture. What they do, what they wear and what they say — even when they are not technically working — is shared and scrutinized by the public. Fans clamor into their paths trying to snap a picture of them or with them to post on their social media pages.

And yet, when celebrities speak out against it and voice their annoyance, they are told that they owe it to their fans.

Recently, One Direction band member Liam Payne was trying to enjoy his time in New York City the day before an appearance on "Good Morning America" but was mobbed by fans and paparazzi for photographs. The crowd was reportedly vocal in their disappointment that the singer did not stop for photographs, and some yelled obscenities at him as he retreated. Payne later took to Twitter to voice his annoyance of the situation.

Not all encounters show annoyed faces or scowls. Some celebrities have used the attention of the paparazzi for good. When realizing the paparazzi had found out where they were eating on multiple occasions, actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield have been known to have signs bringing attention to causes they care about. Celebrities are becoming so used to the paparazzi that they have automatic, planned reactions.

In my experience, this does not only extend to celebrities trying to live their lives in Hollywood. One time at the stage door of a Broadway theater, after a performance of the show "If/Then," I was part of a group of people waiting for the opportunity to meet the actors afterward. Like the rest of the crowd, I was very upset when the security guard announced that no one would be coming out. The cast was having dinner together inside due to the freezing temperatures and their upcoming evening performance. While my mother and I were walking away, I heard a person berate the guard, saying that when she paid a lot of money for her tickets, she expected that she and her daughter was going to meet Idina Menzel after the show.

While celebrities are public figures, people are quick to forget that they are human beings, just like anyone else. Their status puts them on a pedestal, making them seem to the general public like they are only their public image. No matter how uncomfortable or upset they are about it, they are expected to put on smiles and pretend not to care about it and are painted as villains if they speak out.

The question is, why should they have to? Should someone whose job it is to perform also be expected to go out of their way while not performing because their fans and the paparazzi demand it?