Short Story on Odyssey: Why Did We Open That Door? Pt.2

"Why are they looking at us like that?"

149
Ethan Weil

What Happened in Part 1:

Finn, Beatriz, and Andrew found another door appearing to lead to a closet that was acting up one night. A gust of wind blew open the door and sucked them into an unknown land in a different timeframe than they were living in.

"Finn, Andrew look," pointed Beatriz to two men on horses chasing each other from a nearby distance yelling at each other until they disappeared. Beatriz walked toward the edge of the other hill. Finn and Andrew followed her. Below them was a town filled with old buildings built in a Western style that ranged in different sizes. The town was bustling with people rising on horses and horses pulling carriages.

"This seems like a good time to ask what year it is, and where are we?" asked Finn

Before anyone could even think about it, someone from behind was yelling at them

"Get out of the way!" yelled a man on the carriage trying to pull on the reins of the horses because he was heading straight for them.

Beatriz, Finn and Andrew jumped to the side to see that the man unable to stop was heading straight into the town below them.

Belmont, Nevada (1867)

They followed the man to the town, the got a closer look at the buildings all built from wood with each building that looks like it has its own headboard with the name of the what the building was on it.

The people walked in the same type of clothing the three of the them were wearing. Even though this is was a large town, these people still gave them looks as if they knew everyone in this town, and that they could tell who the strangers were.

"Why are they looking at us like that?" asked Beatriz

"For once, we are wearing the same clothing their wearing not like what happened back in Sweden," said Andrew.

"Hey guys, let's go inside, this might be fun," insisted Finn pointing to the saloon at the corner of town.

Beatriz and Andrew followed Finn inside the saloon. In the center of the saloon was a stage with a piano player playing tunes. Several men sat at the tables drinking and playing a card games, shouting every now and then and smashing their glasses against the table.

All three of them approached the bar and sat down on the bar stools without saying a word the bartender turned around pulled out three glasses and started pouring whiskey. Andrew covered the glass, before the bartender poured into the third glass.

"It's on the house," said the bartender.

"Can I have beer instead?" asked Andrew, while Beatriz and Finn gave him the annoying look that he wants something else then what is being given to them.

"Sure," the bartender rolled his eyes, and placed a bottle of beer in front of Andrew.

"You three aren't from around here are you?" asked the bartender while Finn and Beatriz drank their whiskey, while Andrew struggled to open his beer.

"No, we aren't from around here," said Beatriz. "We're from.."

Before Beatriz continued, Andrew cut her off saying, "We are from out of the town, we were just passing by."

"Where are we?" asked Finn

"Why you're in good old Belmont, in the West," answered the bartender with a skeptical look on his face.

"Hold on, you look familiar," said the bartender to Andrew, "Aren't you the son of the Jack?"

"No...," answered Andrew, "Who's Jack?"

"He's the man that's came up with this idea to create a steel plow," continued the bartender before a woman approached the bar.

A woman dressed in a puffy elaborate red dress approached the bar, and said, "You're up,"

The bartender answered, "Can't you see I'm a little busy right now?"

"NOW," gazed the woman and walked back to the stage.

The bartender switched with another man who handed him something placing it automatically in his pocket. The original bartender walked behind the stage curtains where a few women were peaking from behind it.

Before long, the curtains swept open revealing five ladies dressed in red inflated dresses with their hair curled and pinned in a bun, and they started singing and dancing.

Finn was mesmerized by one of the ladies who appeared to look familiar, but maybe it was coincidence.

Andrew gestured to Beatriz and Finn to step outside of the saloon.

"Why are leaving so soon, the show barely started," said Finn

"Guys, I remember I had my wallet in my pocket when we first got here," remembered Andrew, "and my pocket watch. I can't find it now"

"Maybe you dropped it," questioned Beatriz

"No, I think the bartenders robbed me," claimed Andrew, "Why else would they be asking me if I look like someone they know? They did that to distract me."

"You shouldn't have been so picky, maybe they wouldn't have robbed you," remarked Finn

Andrew marched back in there and approach the bar, and spoke in a firm tone, "You stole my watch."

The bartender looked at him and replied, "No sir. Can I get you anything, like an 'Old Taylor' (drink)?"

During Andrew's argument with the bartender, the ladies from the stage finished their show and walked behind the curtain. One walked over to the bar and approached Finn, and started flirting with Finn.

The drunk man at the far end of the saloon stood up and yelled out, "You cheater" and smashed a bottle of beer at the end of the table breaking it. That sprung a riot with everyone standing up and smashing glasses pushing men and flipping tables. The lady in the dress ran behind stage before she hid. Finn asked her for her name, and she replied Rebecca and gestured for Finn to look into his pocket. Beatriz, Finn and Andrew sneaked out from the saloon.

"Well that was...interesting," said Beatriz, "Just try to go back and complain about your watch Andrew."

"I hate the Old West," pouted Andrew.

Finn reached into his pocket and opened the note the folded note.

"Hey, Beatriz, Andrew," said Finn showing the note. The note read, "I know you're not from around here, but there is a reason you are here. Meet Tomorrow at 1 at the other side of town by the Becker's general store. For a place to stay there is a hotel on the east side of town."

Next Day

Beatriz, Finn and Andrew walk out of the hotel.

"I don't think I ever slept on a mattress that uncomfortable. It wasn't even a mattress it was probably just a flat board with springs attached to it," complained Andrew.

"Lighten up Andrew," said Beatriz. "Maybe they'll ask you to help you design something with your architectural "talent?"

Andrew rolled his eyes, as they finally approached the general store. Outside the store was a man sitting at the table who wasn't dressed like the cowboys, but in a gray suit with a brown tie. He was staring at some papers with a puzzled look on his face, until Beatriz, Finn and Andrew approached him.

"Ay you must be the fellows, Rebecca was talking about," said the man shaking each other their hands. "My name is William Becker, proud owner of this store, and owner of these blueprint sketches that seem to be missing something."

"Blueprint sketches?" asked Andrew, "for what?"

"Why the altering the way the train should travel on the railroad," said William

"Well you see Andrew here would gladly help you with this minor issue because he is an architect," stated Beatriz, nudging Andrew

"Yeah.., but I don't know much about railroads or trains," admitted Andrew

"Oh really? Well surely I'm honored to be granted with whatever your expertise might be," said William

"I'm sorry to interrupt this fascinating meeting, but what's the real reason why Rebecca gave me this note," asked Finn.

"We need a new sheriff in this town because it is currently being run by a bunch of outlaws. She thinks you may be able to help with that since you don't look like the criminal type," answered William

To be continued....