Short Story on Odyssey: Why Did We Open That Door? Pt. 3

"Don't worry, you'll find a sweet treat and you'll remember me."

2382
Viktor Forgacs

Why Did We Open that Door? Part 1 and Part 2

Finn, Beatriz, and Andrew opened a door to the Belmont, Nevada in 1867 during the Wild West Era run by outlaws. Some of the townspeople hope that the three of them could restore the town and in return maybe sending back home.

"Sheriff?" questioned Andrew looking at William across the table.

"Is that an issue?" asked Rebecca walking in a cowboy outfit different from her outfit that she had the saloon.

"I think you've got the wrong group. We don't know how to govern or control this town," said Andrew

"I know you're not from here or this era, but maybe this the reason ya'll are here," said Rebecca, "to fix this town, and maybe you'll be able to go home."

"Are you blackmail-...," started Andrew, before he was interrupted by Finn.

"I could be sheriff, how hard could it be?" asked Finn

"You know nothing about managing, let alone being a sheriff," said Beatriz

"Look I'll fix the town's problem, you guys can help Mr. Becker and his train issue," commanded Finn, "Let's go Rebecca."

Finn and Rebecca

Finn and Rebecca left Andrew, Beatriz and William Becker sitting at the table.

"So who's running this town specifically," asked Finn right when a group of men ran through town on horses screaming and yelling.

"They are," pointed out Rebecca. "Specifically, Ray Hayman."

Ray Hayman was at the front of the group riding on the horse with black hair slicked back under his cowboy hat. He stopped right in front of Rebecca and Finn.

"Mornin' lovely," said Ray Hayman, "You don't look as lovely as you did yesterday though."

"Sheriff," said Rebecca gazing straight at him. "I think you're overdue on your stay Ray, don't you think?"

"Are you challenging me?" starred Ray right at her. "Honey, you couldn't take me down even if I had my hands tied behind my back and was blindfolded."

"Oh I wasn't talking about me," said Rebecca, "Finn here would like to take you on that offer of being the new sheriff."

"Finn?" laughed Ray. "I'll take that challenge, may the best sheriff win in a shoot out. 1 Day from now at noon center of town"

Without another word, Ray Hayman walked away.

"What's a shoot out?" asked Finn asking Rebecca

"Oh we got some work to do," said Rebecca.

Andrew and Beatriz

Andrew, Beatriz, and William were riding their horses to the railroad where William was going to show them the railroad malfunction.

"He thinks he can be a sheriff," claimed Andrew, "This is coming from the guy who leaves his socks on the couch."

"And when it's his turn to cook, he buys takeout. Every. Single. Time.," continued Andrew.

"Oh shh, maybe he's trying to impress Rebecca," said Beatriz. "Don't you see how he lights up when she's around him? He lit up the same way you did when you got the architectural internship."

"Here we are," pointed out William pointing to the train that standing on the railroad with the crew surrounding the train. "The problem is that I don't know what material to build the railroad with to provide a smooth transportation."

"Well I'm not mechanic, I design buildings. So this is going to be rough coming from an intern," said Andrew

Finn and Rebecca

"Ok aim at the bottle this time," instructed Rebecca to Finn who was holding a rifle in his hand.

Finn shot on the other side of the bottle not even touching the bottle.

"Why do I need to learn this, is this the shoot out?" asked Finn

"Here let me help you steady the gun," said Rebecca positioning the gun on Finn shoulder and holding his hand while he pulled the trigger. As they pulled the trigger it hit straight into the bottle and right through.

"See, patience and a steady aim is all it takes," smirked Rebecca turning towards Finn, but before she leaned over for a kiss, she stopped. "We can't."

Next Day

"That should work," said Andrew leaning from the window of the railroad car

"Why do you think so?" asked William looking at the wheels on the train car.

"I replaced the mechanics in the engine to no longer 'coughs,'" said Beatriz popping out of the hood of the train car.

"And I replaced the the material, instead of making the railroad from 'wooden palettes,' use steel," said Andrew.

The train engine started and they tried moving along the steel, and it flowed smoothly. Finn prepared for the shoot out.

"Where's Rebecca?" asked Finn asking the townspeople as he went to center of town.

In the middle of town, stood Ray Hayman waiting for Finn. "Are you ready Finn?"

They stood 10 feet apart from each other and both reached the gun in holster. Finn dodged the first bullet, but hit Ray Hayman in the chest making him fall backwards and no longer getting up. Finn approached him and asked, "Where's Rebecca?"

"She's on the road where she should be, railroad" said Ray

"What! As sheriff of this town, I...you're out, now excuse me while I find Rebecca," said Finn running towards a horse and riding towards the railroad.

"Help," yelled Rebecca with shortness of breath strapped to the railroad.

The train was a couple of feet away with Andrew and Beatriz standing at the front of the train.

"There's something there! Stop!" called Andrew to the person at the controls

Finn made it to Rebecca, and began to untie her.

"Don't worry, I'm going to get you out," said Finn.

In the split second that Finn saved Rebecca, the train was coming to a stop.

"You saved me, and you saved this town" said Rebecca finally kissing him.

Beatriz and Andrew jumped out of the train when it came to a stop.

A portal appeared in the distance, and Rebecca answered, "That's your way home go."

Andrew and Beatriz said there goodbyes and headed towards the portal, but Finn didn't move.

"When will I ever see you again," asked Finn

"Don't worry, you'll find a sweet treat and you'll remember me," said Rebecca.

As Finn was about to step through, he said to her, "You're full of riddles and a thief, but I will really miss you."

As they stepped through the portal, the door opened and they fell on the floor of their home.

"I guess we will never nail the landing huh?" questioned Beatriz, "You ok Finn?"

"She was perfect, but I'll never see her again," signed Finn

"Oh don't worry, maybe if you open the door again, you can go back to her," said Andrew while Beatriz nudged him in the ribs as they stood up.

Days past, but the only thing on Finn's mind was Rebecca. Until Beatriz suggested that they go out to a new bakery that just opened up two days ago.

As they walk into the bakery, Finn told Beatriz, "Why did you bring me here?"

"Because I wanted to check this place out, and you need something sweet in your life," said Beatriz

Finn rolled his eyes as he approached the counter and a girl popped from under the counter.

"What can I get you?" asked the girl

Finn froze looking at the girl, who looked so similar to Rebecca, she could be her identical twin.

"Yeah, a chocolate cupcake," said Finn, "What's your name?"

"Ok, just give me a moment," smiled the girl. "My name's Rose."

The girl handed him a cupcake with a napkin that had a note written on it.

The note said, "It's Rebecca, and I forgot to give your friend his pocket watch. I told you that the sweet treat will make you remember me."

Finn approached the counter to the girl, "Hi, there Rebecca, I missed you."

The End