A Short History On Thanksgiving

A Short History On Thanksgiving

Before we all gather around the table to feast, let's take a look at how this holiday began.

12
A Short History On Thanksgiving
Church Street Marketplace

Let's all agree that we need to take a huge break from politics and the aftermath of this election and focus more on the holidays.

The time has almost come for everyone to get together with their family and friends and celebrate the wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving!

Ah yes, Thanksgiving! Where every year we gather around the dinner table and eat ourselves into a coma. And instead of listening to your family members argue about the election results while you drink glass after glass of your choice of alcohol (which is most likely what I will be doing during my thanksgiving) I am going to give you a short little lesson on the history of thanksgiving. Maybe you can use this at your dinner table.

Back in 1620, the Mayflower sailed all the way from Plymouth, England and landed near Provincetown on November 21st after sailing for 66 days.

Most of the people on board were Puritans who were persecuted for their religious beliefs over in England. To escape such horrors, all of them decided to pack their things and head over to the America's. Their original destination was Virginia, but due to storms the Pilgrims (as they were called) landed over in Massachusettes.

After following the maps of Captain John Smith, the Pilgrims made their way inland and settled the colony of Plymouth. (Plymouth, Massachusettes this time). The journey to the settlement was rough as many were sick and a harsh winter killed 46 pilgrims. What a "warm" welcome.

The first Thanksgiving probably took place in New England, most likely Plymouth. It was celebrated by the Pilgrims who established the Plymouth Colony in Massachusettes after dealing with months of sailing and the loss of almost half of the settlers due to sickness. It was a huge struggle for the Pilgrims as they struggled through a horrible winter and little food.

Fast forward to the spring and Native American-settlers helped out the Pilgrims by planting crops that by fall they were loaded with food! Because of this, Governor William Bradford proclaimed three days of prayer and thanksgiving. The Pilgrims have a huge feast and invited the Native Americans who helped them.

The custom of observing a special harvest Thanksgiving began to spread throughout the colonies over the years. After the American Revolution, the new states continues this customs while celebrating on different days. In 1863, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the first national celebration of Thanksgiving to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. That date was established by Congress in 1941.

And that everyone is how Thanksgiving came together. Now enjoy your holiday and eat all the food you can!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!