Sexualizing Female Students Is Only Getting Worse, And Bartram Trail High School Is Just One Example

Bartram Trail High School covered and edited female students yearbook photos, and this has to stop.

32

High school students are developing and changing. This can be a challenging, anxious time. High school female's bodies change an immense amount during this time, too. They go through puberty, and their bodies change.

This is a delicate time for them, so when adults make comments or make them feel self-conscious, it could send a message saying that these women should be ashamed of their bodies and embarrassed. That is what Bartram Trail High School did to over 80 female students in their yearbook photos.

The high school edited female student's photos to make the photos "fit the dress code". The school didn't try to do good or clean edits; they didn't care if the edits were bad and embarrassing to these women. The school argued that the teacher who was in charge of the yearbook photos did these edits for a good reason. The school said the student's photos were edited to make sure the dress code was met and they could be included in the yearbook.

The issue with this argument is that there are sports where the dress code is not met either. For example, the men's swim team, which wore just a small speedo as a uniform, did not receive any editing or cover-ups. If dress code were an issue and they were concerned about it, then the yearbook should have done edits on photos like these as well.

The school edited photos where females' tops were higher up on the chest, shirts edited up to cover their shoulders, and their shirts were copied and almost pasted to cover areas that it wouldn't have covered otherwise.

The only thing that the school is doing at this point is offering refunds and saying that they are taking feedback. The feedback they are receiving is from parents of the students and the students themselves for next year. The parents are saying there have been real consequences from these image altercations. They are saying the female students are feeling ashamed of their bodies and their self-esteem and mental states are what is suffering because of the incident.