Sexual Identities Are Diverse

Gay International is the collective name given to organizations such as the ILGA and IGLHRC which sprang up to defend the rights of "gays and lesbians" around the world. Joseph Massad states that they produce two types of literature: academic literature of historical, literary, and anthropological accounts written mostly by white males and journalistic accounts of lives of so-called gays in modern-day Arab countries.

The issue, as Massad points out, is it produces homosexuals where they do not exist and represses same-sex desires and practices. Their goal of Sexual Liberation is an idea created by the Gay International, which Joseph Massad explains is part of their mission to advocate for "gays and lesbians" around the world and free them from supposed oppression. Massad takes issue with this because the Western understanding of sexual identities is different than in the East, and thus this narrative of liberation is wrong because it rejects same-sex desires and practices that refuse to be assimilated into sexual epistemology of the West.

This misunderstanding is rooted in Orientalism which is the way in which the West disseminated stereotypes and false ideas of the East as a way to justify that views that the East is ahistorical and inferior in terms of sexuality and morals. This has existed throughout the history of the west and no eastern society has been excluded from such stereotyping. During the 1800s, in the US Chinese immigrants were framed as prostitutes and sexually deviant. The embrace of non-heterosexuality in South Asia was considered barbaric by the British and outlawed, something that was only recently reversed. One such is example is how Western Europe prejudices Eastern Europe as homophobic as a way to make Eastern Europe appear "backward" and more conservative.

Historically, the Middle East was made to be "backward" and promiscuous due to their free sexuality and uninhibited sexual encounters among and across genders. Today, the Middle East is "backward" and framed as repressive of sex and sexuality, even though, the fact of the matter is sex among same-sexes is common and has always been, but there is no identification as "gay" because historically there was no need and there is still no need today. Thus, there are no "gays" to liberate.