Sexual Harassment On Capitol Hill Needs To Be Taken More Seriously

It's time we give solace to those who have suffered.
26

Starting with the election of Donald Trump, we have seen a string of sexual harassment cases pop up. In fact, we have even seen the birth of a movement, the #MeToo movement, due to the sheer magnitude of sexual harassment in both Hollywood and Capitol Hill.

Over a hundred men and women have come out in the last couple months to finally expose their harassers to the world. The #MeToo movement has created a safe and powerful platform which has allowed for victims to come forward and ignore society's judgment.

Although Donald Trump may have been the root to the start of the movement, it is Harvey Weinstein who really got the ball rolling. The once renowned producer Harvey Weinstein has been accused by over a dozen women for sexual harassment in the workplace (a serial harasser, if you will).

And it's not just Hollywood executives or actors being accused, it's also those who work for us, the people - it's members of the US Congress.

Many have been accused of sexual misconduct, but the two most famous government figures are Al Franken and Roy Moore. Minnesota Senator Al Franken was accused by over five women of sexual misconduct. He claims he has no recollection, but did issue an apology to all of his victims. Franken was also pushed by Democrats to resign, and on December 7 senator Franken announced he would resign.

So this brings us to the interesting case of Senate candidate for Alabama, Roy Moore. Roy Moore is a Republican running for the state of Alabama in its Special Senate Election to fill the vacancy left by Jeff Sessions. Although it's not surprising we would see a strong, outspoken Republican run for Alabama, it is a bit disheartening to see that the man running has been accused by a dozen females of harassing them when they were minors.

Even with this long list of sexual harassment against him, Roy Moore will continue to run for the US Senate seat. Even worse, Donald Trump has endorsed this pedophile. Trump calls for electing Moore because he needs a win in his playbook, and that isn't going to happen if Doug Jones wins.

It is absolutely disgusting to see this man, this child molester, this pedophile to have an iota of support. How can we as a nation stand for this hypocrisy? Al Franken had to resign, Harvey Weinstein was denounced, Kevin Spacey was fired, but some way, somehow this vile man has people backing him?

Sexual harassment is not a partisan issue. It is supposed to be bipartisan — it's wrong to endorse anyone who has engaged in such misconduct; in fact, it's illegal.

The events that have come to light in the passing months bring major repercussions with them: will we the people allow such hypocrisy in the nation's capital continue, or will we tear a page out of the #MeToo movement's playbook and take a stand?

It's time to take a side.