Sexual Harassment Is Much More Than Ass-Grabs And Cat-Calls

Sexual harassment is a big problem in our society, especially on college campuses.
46

Last Saturday night, I was at a watch-party for the big Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor fight and a couple of my friends were sexually harassed. This, of course, seems all too fittingly ironic, given Mayweather's long history of mistreatment of women.

The perpetrator of this harassment did not touch or grab my friends, nor did he catcall or make any especially sexist or demeaning comments--though at one point he did attempt to psychoanalyze one of my friends and urged her to "smile more." In fact, he probably has no idea that what he did was wrong.

He seemed to me, and to most around me, to be a genuinely kind and amicable person. I have little doubt that he had no ill intentions. And yet, my friends left that night feeling uneasy and uncomfortable, the results of time spent feeling objectified and generally creeped out.

If not words or touches, then what? Well, though he said nothing objectifying or demeaning, he let his eyes do the talking for him.

Seemingly every other second, his eyes would flit down to my friend's breasts and linger, if only for a moment. It didn't matter if he were talking to her or if she were talking to him or even if he and I were engaged in conversation. He simply did not seem to understand the famous concept of "My eyes are up here."

This may seem innocent enough and, as I said, I do not think he intended to even behave this way, let alone induce the discomfort that he did. But that doesn't change the way my friends felt; it doesn't make their unease any less real or valid.

Sexual harassment is a big problem in our society, especially on college campuses, but oftentimes it is thought and spoken of as an issue of words and physical interactions all very deliberate. The issue of sexual harassment--and, more broadly, latent misogyny and objectification as a whole--is much more complicated than our dialogue would suggest.

Sexual harassment and latent misogyny can take many forms. Many of them are not even intentional or realized. This makes it all the more necessary that we do a better job of educating and informing people about what sexual harassment is and why it is important to not engage in it.

One night of being uncomfortably ogled at may not sound like a big deal, but it is just part of a much larger problem on college campuses and in society at large of internalized misogyny and latent sexual harassment and objectification.