Women In Other Countries Having Fewer Rights Doesn't Make Sexism In America Any Less Problematic

Women should never be told to just accept that their society is sexist because conditions are worse elsewhere, and it's important to keep making steps toward equality.

534

Lately, I've seen many complaints about feminism in the United States and a plethora of reasons why people don't support it. There has been no shortage of articles like this on Odyssey. In many cases, it is specific issues related to feminism that deter people from considering themselves feminists, or sometimes it is a misunderstanding of feminism and assuming that feminists think women should be superior to men. These reasons aren't anything new and tend to not have any effect on me. What has been bothering me is when people try to point out that women have much less freedom in other countries.

Yes, I am well aware that women in many other countries have it much worse.

I am aware that there are places where women aren't allowed to go to school, and I know that there are countries like Saudi Arabia, where the ban on women driving has just recently been lifted.

I know that in the United States, women have much more freedom in comparison to these countries.

That doesn't mean that sexism doesn't exist in the United States, and it certainly doesn't mean that sexism in the United States should be ignored.

Everyone is different and has had different experiences, and it's unfair to judge someone by the experiences of someone else. Women should never be told to just accept that their society is sexist because conditions are worse elsewhere, and it's important to keep making steps toward equality.

Furthermore, people are allowed to be concerned about more than one issue at a time. Women can address sexism in the United States while simultaneously opposing the oppression of women elsewhere. Some argue that there are bigger issues that need to be acknowledged, but there is no reason for sexism to be brushed aside in order to address those issues.

The experiences of American women aren't any less valid than those of women in other countries, and women shouldn't be told to settle just because someone has it worse. If there's a problem, it needs to be addressed, and with issues such as the wage gap, slut-shaming, and rape culture still being major concerns among American women, there is still plenty to address with sexism in the United States.