How To Sew Your Own Bralette

How To Sew Your Own Bralette

Save over $20 and stick it to the man

318
How To Sew Your Own Bralette
Allison de Haas

So, as I spiral down further into being a dirty hippie, I have decided to sew my own bralettes instead of buying them. I really have stopped wearing underwire bras for medical reasons and buying nice bralettes can be really expensive for what you are getting. My solution: make them myself! I took sewing lessons for years so although it has been a little while, and I felt confident I could figure out how to make a bralette. These are the steps I took to end up with my first bralette that I made myself:

1. Materials

Y'all are gonna need some materials to do this with. I went with two different sizes of elastic so that the band could be thicker than the straps. Thickness is all up to you. I am also using an old pillowcase as the fabric because it was just taking up space in my linen closet and #sustainability. Also, I made my own pattern out of stock paper just by using my favorite bralette as a guide. Make sure to make your pattern a little bit larger than what your bralette appears to be for sewing allowances.

2. Grab a beer

If you're of legal drinking age. This is the most important step, especially if this is your first time trying to make your own bralette.

3. Cutting

Trace and cut out the fabric. Make sure to double side each piece to ensure you have eight pieces in all.

4. Pulling it together

The next step is to sew each cup together. I was kind of dumb and didn't sew the double sides together, but whatever, it worked. I used a loop stitch to sew them down the middle. Loop worked really well.

5. Battle of the Bands

Now it is time to get serious. Take your thicker elastic and pull it around where you would like your band to sit. Make sure there is a little stretch action going on so that you know it is snug enough and won't fall down on you, but also it isn't too tight. Give yourself an inch more than you need and cut. Pin or mark where the bands overlap each other. Then sew the overlap together.

6. Band for Life

Try the finished band on and pin into place the cups. Don't forget to leave some space between the cups. Carefully remove the band and cups. Then you will sew the band and each cup together. This might take a little bit of skill to situate the fabric and band together in the best way possible. This is where I realized my pattern hadn't been the best shape for the bralette.

7. Strapping Young Lady

Now it is time to move onto the straps. Place your bralette back on. Make sure the raw edges of the fabric are on the outside. Have a friend hold one end of the smaller elastic and pin it to the band in the back. Then pull it over your shoulders and pin it in place on the cup. Do the same for the other side. As with the band, make sure to not have the straps too loosey goosey, yet not cutting into your shoulder. Then sew where you have pinned them.

8. Finishing touches

Measure out and cut small pieces of elastic to go along each edge of the cups. This will ensure the cups fit better and are less likely to fray. I sewed these edge pieces onto the good side of the bralette.

9. Customize this sucker!

Options include lace on the band, embroidery, and so much more! Have fun! Making this bralette your own is the best part!

Bralettes can be incredibly easy and affordable to make yourself. If at first you don't succeed...try again! The sewing doesn't have to be pretty and the fabric can be anything from an old pillowcase to nice lace you bought online. Everything about this is up to you!