Seven People You See On Quad Day

Seven People You See On Quad Day

Quad day. It’s the most stereotypical college moment” there is. 

With over 1100 registered student organizations (RSOs), and 33,000 undergraduate students invited, there are bound to be some crazy things that happen and some weird people. No matter what, you’ll always see these seven people on quad day. 

1. Ultra-prepared freshman. She has a color coded map of the quad and highlighted a route in order to, most efficiently, make her way around. She’s already looked up the clubs she’s interested in joining. They all would look great on her resume, and she even created a separate email for club involvement. She came prepared with anything she could possibly need, which is good because she didn’t expect the quad to be quite so crowded.

2. Lost freshman. He came because his parents and his RA told him to, and quad day always looks fun in the movies. He just arrived on campus and is immediately overwhelmed with the craziness. Is it possible to have this many clubs and so many people? He wants to join something, but how to choose? How to even find something that he would be interested in? He grabs a few fliers and puts his email down for some random clubs, then goes to where the free food is.

3. Hungover club member stuck working the booth. No one signed up to run the booth and since she’s best friends with the president, she just couldn’t say no. However, it didn’t stop her from partying the night before, and now she’s seriously regretting that decision because of how bright it is and how many questions she’s being asked by that ultra-prepared freshman. 

4. Senior who’s only there because he wants free stuff. He’s been through quad day many times and isn't planning on joining anything new. However, he just can’t resist the lure of all the freebies. He didn't buy any pens this year, in anticipation, and already knows which clubs give out the best stuff. 

5. Overly-excited president of a new RSO. They got all the paperwork approved and have a great cause. Now all they need is members. They’re super excited to spread the word about their new organization and are practically throwing fliers at people and begging for emails! Thankfully, some overwhelmed freshmen scribbled their information on the sign-up sheet. Some of them actually seemed interested. 

6. Espresso employees who hand out free coupons. Everyone loves Espresso Royale, and everyone loves free stuff. So everyone loves it when the Espresso workers stalk the quad giving out free medium coffee coupons. In fact, people hide their coupons and wait until another worker offers one to them. If you play your cards right, you could be getting free coffee for the rest of the semester! 

7. The one who goes to every booth. You know her when you see her. Her bag is stuffed to the brim with fliers and freebies. She has the wide eyed look of a freshman who just doesn’t know how to say no and since she’s an undecided major, she might as well try out all sorts of clubs and activities to try to figure out what she wants to do with her life. Little does she know, for the rest of the semester her email will be clogged with spam from clubs she never really wanted to join.