Seven Artists You Need To Hear

Seven Artists You Need To Hear

These artists are keeping the spirit of music alive. Do yourself a favor and check them out!

63
Seven Artists You Need To Hear
Braden Collum

The following list features artists who are keeping the heart and soul of music alive. Each of them have released some of the year's best albums. Although many of their careers are finally taking off, I personally feel they're still not getting the recognition they deserve. I thought I'd pay homage to the wonderful sonic vibrations they produce. If you haven't heard them yet, I highly urge you to check them out.

1. Kamasi Washington:

When I first saw Kamasi Washington's name it was when it appeared on one of my favorite albums of all time, Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp A Butterfly". His remarkable jazz- sax techniques were a major contributor to the numerous elements that distinguish this rap album from all other rap albums. This contribution put Washington on the map, where he then released a few years worth of material on his three-disc debut, "The Epic". He is among the few working towards the resurrection of jazz, which was brought one step closer with his 2017 E.P, "Harmony of Difference".

2. King Krule

Having made his initial debut during his teenage years, Archie Marshall (aka King Krule) has risen from the ashes of his punk/new wave influences to create a post-punk-meets-jazz-fusion extravaganza. This year brought his biggest album release yet, "The Ooz". The album features Krule's organic and deep voice. His distinctive voice does not attempt to mask his English origins, nor does it need to. The result of this is a dark, dreamlike musical experience that makes you feel like your in some underground nightclub somewhere in London.

3. Angel Olsen

Although her first major release was in 2012, Angel Olsen's well-deserved recognition finally seems to be transpiring. Her ambient, folk-inspired debut, "Strange Cacti" was an ode to loneliness and yearning, recorded with a raw elegance that is only found behind the true passion of an up-and-coming artist. Her works since then all reveal different sides of her, some beautifully reminiscent of Stevie Nicks while others as powerful as Patti Smith. Her masterfully created psych-rock-folk sound is authentically hers, however. In November of 2017, she released "Phases", which features b-sides and demos from her previous works, but lacks no less beauty than her other albums.

4. Curtis Harding

I first encountered Curtis Harding when he appeared at another band's show in Atlanta in early spring of 2017. He didn't say or do anything, but he presented this aura that warmed the entire room with his presence. I knew he was somebody. I finally found him after web-surfing enough. His first album, "Soul Power" possesses just that. His intense, soulful voice is a homage to the early soul and R&B singers but is as rough around the edges of an indie or garage rock singer. His latest album, "Face Your Fear" released in October 2017 encaptures a warm, mildly psychedelic yet soulful sound that is not worth missing.

5. Badbadnotgood

While their name may be bad, bad, and just not so good- I cannot say the same about their music. I'll be honest, the name really did draw me away at first, but after I gave them a try, I have not been able to stop listening. I discovered their music when I found their fantastic cover of A Tribe Called Quest's "Electric Relaxation". A cover of a cover. Ironic, eh? Another name that's making up this modern jazz scene, the trio induces a jazz-fusion sound that is both chilled-out and exciting.

6. Cherry Glazerr

Starting four years ago in LA, Clementine Creevy (lead vocalist/guitarist) has propelled the band from a garage-punk sound into an edgy, grungy takeover. With a sound that may remind one of The Distillers and Sonic Youth combined, the band's 2017 release, "Apocalipstick" invokes a flaring power like no other. Guided by cutthroat-yet-melodic vocals and distorted guitar, if I ran into Cherry Glazerr in a bar, I wouldn't mess with them.

7. Charles Bradley

Let's talk about Charles Bradley. This soulful, heartfelt singer gained fame late in life, but that made his music so much better, revealing his passion and determination for what he loved to do. Having risen to success later in life, I found Charles Bradley about a year ago somewhere on the internet. He's released three records since 2011, and this year saw the instrumental release of his album "Changes". The album featured a cover of the Black Sabbath song "Changes", which not only increased my respect for him but he did it in a way of his own, truly. His screams and moans sound like they should be found on a record from the 60's. While his music is recent enough to be on this list, Bradley unfortunately, passed away due to cancer in September of 2017. His music is young enough to appeal to the likes of this generation and will, therefore, live on for years to come.