Setting The Bar High

Setting The Bar High

Starting the semester off on the right foot!

31
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-and-woman-near-grass-field-1415131/

Coming out of the hardest, most stressful semester of my college career, I wanted to start spring semester off right by making sure to check in on myself amongst the chaos that my life is about to be. With how hectic my work, school, and social calendar is, things can get crazy. This semester I plan to prioritize my mental health, something I was not doing last semester. I got really good at putting on a fake smile when I was with my friends but broke down over stress when I was alone in my apartment. This semester I told myself I am going to stay on top of all of my assignments, especially since all of my classes are very reading- and writing-intensive. However, I also told myself that I'm going to take time to step away from something when it stresses me out. To cope with it I made a list of four things you and I can do to destress:

1. Take a nap.

Sometimes taking a nap can help you block the world out and wake up with renewed energy to tackle what is in front of you.

2. Eat a snack.

I found that when I was super stressed, eating a small snack helped me regain my focus, and calm myself down.

3. Call someone you love.

When I get super stressed out, I tend to call someone. Either it's my mom, dad, my best friend Kayla, or Emily. Talking to someone about what's making you stressed can help get it out in the open, and whoever you talk to can offer suggestions on what to do next.

4. Just step away for a little while.

Taking a step back from what you're working on and doing something else can allow you to clear your head and come back to it later with a healthier mindset.

Take a deep breath, you're doing great and everything is going to be alright. Stay on top of yourself and your work and the semester is going to be smooth.