Where Do You See Yourself In 5 Years?

You May Not Know What You’re Having For Dinner Tomorrow, But Know Where You Want To Be In Five Years

Planning your life down to a tee can feel overwhelming and restricting, instead, plan goals for years into the future, leaving room for other opportunities or interests that can come your way.

365

Everyone is in a rush to figure out their future. As the semester goes by, students, including myself, become more anxious at the fact that they need to decide what they want to be, or where they want their lives to be in the future. And although it is important to plan for the future, deciding on a job does not have to be a definite decision yet. Yes, it would be amazing to have a job after college, but that job doesn't necessarily have to be your dream job.

When people ask where you see in 5 years, don't simply answer with a job, instead answer with a place, people you want to be surrounded by, or answer with things that you want to be doing. Most jobs are from 9:00 to 5:00, so what do you want to be doing with the rest of your time? When asked this question, some seem to hesitate. "I don't even know what I'm having for dinner, how am I supposed to know where I want to be in 5 years?"

Instead of starting small and planning each day, try to set goals for yourself in the future. I know in 5 years, I want to be living in an apartment, paying my own rent with the money I earn. No, I don't know what job I will have or where I want to live, but this goal gives leeway for opportunities that come my way. I feel as though when people plan their lives down to a tee, they feel restricted, and leave little room for other opportunities or interests.

While others choose to plan their lives this way, they could have already have a plan of where they want to be in five years. My brother, for example, is in graduate school right now and plans to go to medical school to become a doctor. And while he does not know where he will be going or where he will be doing his residency, he knows that he wants to be in medical school. That is a five-year goal for him. Having a five-year goal allows you to plan your life out, but not having the stress of the everyday goals. While some people prefer to plan their everyday lives, I chose not to.

Time flies as you grow older, and it only makes others feel anxious about their future and what they want to do with their lives. Setting up goals for yourself is important, paving a path for what you want your life to be. However, having a goal for the future can allow you to not only know where you want to be, but it also allows you to enjoy the journey of getting there, through the twists and curves that life might send you. No, I don't know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow, but I do know where I want to be five years from now.