Construction has been waking Seton Hall University students up at 7 a.m. for the past few months. Despite their pleas to the South Orange Village and the University, students have been subjected to loud noises, violent tremors, and gasoline blasts. The construction is taking place outside of Cabrini Hall, to replace a parking lot with a Welcome Center which will house a new 750 person auditorium.

A few months ago construction started at 6 a.m., but students called the South Orange Village to complain, citing a Village ordinance. It is prohibited to be in "the operation of any tools or equipment used in construction, drilling, earthmoving, excavating or demolition work between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m." The Village asked the University to comply with the ordinance and construction now begins at 7 a.m.

The Department of Housing and Resident Life has quiet hours from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m Sunday through Thursday, and midnight to 10 a.m. Friday through Saturday according to a Resident Assistant email from Aug. 31, 2016. Students are not happy as Allegra Berg, Cabrini resident, said, "If I am not allowed to listen to loud music in my room, they should not be allowed to be making this noise."

Trucks loudly start their engines directly outside of Cabrini Hall, which causes rooms to violently shake in addition to the loud noise, Cabrini residents report. The backhoes drag metal buckets on the ground, creating an unsettling noise, and workers are shouting profanities - all starting at 7 a.m. Wednesday morning, Allegra Berg said the air in her room was almost unbreathable for five minutes after construction workers sent the smell of gasoline into the air.

Students do not mind the construction, but they are bothered by the starting time since students frequently stay up late due to school work and/or job shifts. Despite meetings and calls with the University, students are being told to improve their time management and go to bed earlier. They have the option to move, but students believe it is an inconvenience and wonder why it is their responsibility to move when the University did not inform them of the construction prior to moving in. The University has told students to suck it up, placing the value of the University and the welcome center above the well being of its students.

Students are continuing to voice their concerns despite push back from the University. The University ought to listen to the students' concerns and delay the start of construction.