Separate Worlds, Wasted Humanity

Separate Worlds, Wasted Humanity

A poem conveying sadness for the American disinterest in the Syrian bombing.
6

As I sit here, sipping coffee

talking with friends,

In another world, someones life

is ending.

As I walk down the street,

wearing too expensive shoes,

A family is ripped apart

by a war that isn't theirs.

As I drive down the street

to go to class,

A student in another country is

denied the right to learn.

As I eat fresh fruit

from a silly health store,

A child on the other side of the world

starves as his country is torn apart.

As I breathe in fresh air,

the air that I take for granted,

An elderly man breathes in

rubble and debris from a bomb.

As I sit here,

living in freedom,

Another soul is suffering,

because of politics.

What has happened to

our humanity, I

must wonder.

Others starve while we,

Americans, gorge and

waster, thoughtlessly.

People suffer, cough, and

bleed, we sit and

have lunch, carelessly.

Children cry for their

lost parents, and our own children

whine for more toys.

Students can't attend school because

it is now rubble, yet we waste

our education.

Our humanity has

withered, replaced only by

the singular thought:

"I"

Cover Image Credit: Syrian Arab News Agency, McClatchy-Tribune

I'm A Woman And You Can't Convince Me Breastfeeding In Public Is OK In 2019

Sorry, not sorry.

59301

Lately, I have seen so many people going off on social media about how people shouldn't be upset with mothers breastfeeding in public. You know what? I disagree.

There's a huge difference between being modest while breastfeeding and just being straight up careless, trashy and disrespectful to those around you. Why don't you try popping out a boob without a baby attached to it and see how long it takes for you to get arrested for public indecency? Strange how that works, right?

So many people talking about it bring up the point of how we shouldn't "sexualize" breastfeeding and seeing a woman's breasts while doing so. Actually, all of these people are missing the point. It's not sexual, it's just purely immodest and disrespectful.

If you see a girl in a shirt cut too low, you call her a slut. If you see a celebrity post a nude photo, you call them immodest and a terrible role model. What makes you think that pulling out a breast in the middle of public is different, regardless of what you're doing with it?

If I'm eating in a restaurant, I would be disgusted if the person at the table next to me had their bare feet out while they were eating. It's just not appropriate. Neither is pulling out your breast for the entire general public to see.

Nobody asked you to put a blanket over your kid's head to feed them. Nobody asked you to go feed them in a dirty bathroom. But you don't need to basically be topless to feed your kid. Growing up, I watched my mom feed my younger siblings in public. She never shied away from it, but the way she did it was always tasteful and never drew attention. She would cover herself up while doing it. She would make sure that nothing inappropriate could be seen. She was lowkey about it.

Mindblowing, right? Wait, you can actually breastfeed in public and not have to show everyone what you're doing? What a revolutionary idea!

There is nothing wrong with feeding your baby. It's something you need to do, it's a part of life. But there is definitely something wrong with thinking it's fine to expose yourself to the entire world while doing it. Nobody wants to see it. Nobody cares if you're feeding your kid. Nobody cares if you're trying to make some sort of weird "feminist" statement by showing them your boobs.

Cover up. Be modest. Be mindful. Be respectful. Don't want to see my boobs? Good, I don't want to see yours either. Hard to believe, I know.