Sensitivity Is Not A Weakness.

Sensitivity Is Not A Weakness.

A sensitive heart is powerful.

643
Sensitivity Is Not A Weakness.
Simply Blessed

I have been a sensitive girl from the moment I was born. I can burst into tears if someone raises their voice at me, I hurt when others are hurting, sometimes I care "too much," my feelings get hurt easily, I always want to help people, etc. I grew up believing that my sensitivity was a sign of weakness. I thought I was weak because I was extremely sensitive in all aspects of my life, but I finally realized that I was wrong.

According to Dictionary, sensitive is "readily or excessively affected by external agencies or influences" and "aware of and responsive to the feelings of others."

I grew up with a hatred of my sensitive side. I hated that I was so easily affected by the littlest things. The world makes me feel as if I am weak and not good enough because I am incredibly sensitive, and I still struggle with this feeling on a daily basis. It has been a process, but I am finally starting to realize that my sensitive heart makes me who I am, and I am proud of who I am.

The world tells people with sensitivity to "grow thicker skin" or "quit acting like a baby." But why are we making sensitive people feel like they are weak?

According to an article by Barrie Davenport, "being an empath is not a disorder - it is an innate quality you should never feel shameful about. Although some of the traits of empaths make it more difficult to operate in a world dominated by less sensitive people, there are many positive aspects of being an empath. Says Dr. Judith Orloff in her New York Times bestseller, 'Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions And Transform Your Life,' 'Empaths are naturally giving, spiritually attuned, and good listeners. If you want heart, empaths have got it. Through thick and thin, they're there for you, world-class nurturers.'"

Everyone is unique in their own way. Sensitive people are unique in a way that allows them to truly care and love on people from all walks of life. That is something sensitive people should feel good about.

The article also states that "empaths feel positive, loving emotions deeply and appreciate the subtitles of beauty, art, and music. They flourish in calm, loving, and peaceful environments. On the flip side, however, empaths feel all emotions keenly - even negative emotions. Says Dr. Orloff, they are so in-tune to other's negative feelings they become 'angst-sucking sponges.' As a result, they are vulnerable to emotional abusers who want to use and manipulate them. Stressful situations and people overwhelm them and often trigger serious issues like depression, anxiety, weight gain, and addictions."

Like every single type of person, there are things that can happen. Sensitive people feel so much that it can sometimes overwhelm them. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It just shows how much they care.

I am not going to lie, sometimes it can be extremely hard to be a sensitive person, but that does not mean that it is something to look down upon. I love that I have the chance to really love and care about people. I love when people come to me when they need advice or just want someone to listen. That is just who I am, and I do not think that makes me weak.

Sensitive people are powerful. Why are they powerful? Because they have the power to care deeply. That is something that can be rare in a world full of hate. If you are sensitive, you are powerful. Take pride in how much you care about people because that means everyone around you can see a true reflection of your big and beautiful heart.

I know this is not always easy to believe, but you are not weak because you are sensitive. Use your gift of sensitivity to make a difference from everyone to the people around you to the people of the world. You are powerful.