Sensitive And Strong

Sensitive And Strong

Does feeling everything deeply have to mean I'm weak?

8
Sensitive And Strong
grubstreet.com

The truth is I cry at everything. I cry when I'm happy, I cry when I'm sad, I cry for other people, I cry when I'm angry (which doesn't really seem to help get my point across), I cry at TV shows I've seen 600 times, I cry all over the pages of books, I cry at just about anything. I used to think that being sensitive was a sign of weakness but now I know it's not.

I know people for years and I have never seen them cry once, whereas my best friends know that I'll sob at just about anything and just about anywhere. I don't hold back any of my emotions and I try my best not to bottle anything up, and while some people may see this as being easily effected or emotional I see it as the opposite.

When I'm happy I cry to show others how truly ecstatic I am. I get excited over little things and the smallest gesture will make my day. On the other hand, it takes a lot more for me to get angry. I love that I am able to see the joy in everything no matter how small because those little things make life worth living.

When I'm sad I cry a river and could practically drown whoever I'm with. But afterwards, I feel so much better. My head feels clear, I can breathe better and I can sleep better knowing that nothing is on my mind, and that I've tired myself out.

I feel such empathy for other people, especially those that I love. If they're happy I'm happy, and if they're hurting then I'm hurting. I have a few select people that I truly let into my life and those people mean the world to me, if anything happens to them I feel their pain, I feel their sadness and I feel their joy.

When I'm really angry it's hard for me to keep calm, I'm either yelling or I'm bawling. While this doesn't necessarily get my point across too well, it does let the other person know that I'm hurting and that they've done something to really break me down, which usually results in a compromise or solution.

As for the television shows and books, what can I say I get attached to those characters. I have watched every season of 'Grey's Anatomy' at least twice and I still manage to bawl my eyes out every time someone dies. Books, movies and TV are all made to transport you into a different world, for you to feel what the character is feeling for just a little while and that is exactly what I do.

I used to see my sensitivity as a weakness, that it lets other people see what really makes me tick, it let's others into the deepest parts of myself that even I am not comfortable with yet. I would be embarrassed of who I am because I knew that even the slightest thing could make me look silly if I jump up and down for joy when it's really not a big deal, or if I cried in public because I just couldn't hold it back anymore.

All of these things I now see as my strengths. I can let other people see who I truly am because I am sure of myself. I don't mind people knowing what makes me tick so they can get to know me better. The deepest parts of who I am are out there in the open for people to see and understand even if I don't understand them myself and I see that as being brave. I am honest with myself and others in who I am. It took me a long time (and the help of my very understanding boyfriend) to understand that this is who I am. If I want to be excited for saving a ladybug from the depths of my pool I can be. If I want to cry over fictional deaths I've seen or read a thousand times, that's my business. If I can't get my angry words out because of the tears, hopefully it will let the other person know what I'm trying to say. My sensitivity isn't my weakness, in fact it is my biggest strength and most defining factor.