Why "Sense8" is the Coolest Show You'll Ever Watch

Eight characters. Eight storylines. One amazing TV show.

64
DeviantArt

TV in today’s society is a controversial topic. While certain shows and certain networks are getting better at it, many of the most beloved shows and networks are not diverse at all. There isn't a lot of representation in Hollywood. People are begging for shows with more than just white men and women, and if you're one of those people, then I definitely have the show for you.

The show “Sense8” is a Netflix original series that follows the lives of eight unlikely people who are all connected. One of the coolest things about this show is the obviously very different and very complex plot. Each of the main characters are connected in what is called a cluster, meaning that all of their minds are connected. They can feel, see, and hear what everyone else feels, sees, and hears, and they can sometimes transport their minds to each other. It seems a little weird, but it's so unique and so cool that it leaves you on the edge of your seat.

Along with that, each of the eight characters that make up the cluster are so amazing. Each of them is a diverse personality not usually seen in shows, and it truly shows the representation among the cast.

The first of these amazing characters is Nomi Marks, a former-hacker. She's a transgender woman with a completely unsupportive family. Her mother still uses her birth name of Michael and not the name Nomi chose for herself after her transition. Despite this, she's managed to find a great relationship with another woman. Nomi shows the struggles that many transgender people face and she also shows that anyone can make it through their struggles. (One of the coolest things about Nomi is that the actress playing her is transgender in real life. Jamie Clayton actually knows what it's like to be discriminated against and treated like she's not human, so it makes the performance even more believable.)

The next of the remarkable characters is Lito Rodriguez, a famous South American actor struggling with his sexuality. Lito is a loveable character whose emotional side helps his friends through a lot of struggles. Lito shows the often cruel reality gay people can face. He and his boyfriend are forced to hide themselves and who they really are because they will not be accepted for their sexualities.

Our next character is Capheus Van Damme, a black man living in Africa. Capheus deals with some serious struggles. His mother is dying of AIDs and he doesn't have the money to buy her medicine. Because of this, he accidentally gets involved with an illegal business, though he doesn't turn to bad things when the going gets tough. Capheus’ caring and gentle nature is one of the only things that keeps his friends together when they go through stressful situations. Capheus shows that a man of color can be hard working and still have a good conscience.

The next character is Will Gorski, a police officer who often serves as the leader of the little group. Will is the first of the group to experience their connection and the first to embrace it. Despite this, he still struggles with issues with his father and his friends outside of the cluster thinking he's crazy. Will is a good example of how there are still good police officers, even if he's fictional.

The next character in this list is Sun Bak, a woman struggling to succeed in a man’s world. Sun lives in the deeply patriarchal society of Korea and is the daughter of a well-known business man. She is the one to take the fall for her brother stealing from the company and she gets sent to jail for it. She's an amazing example of a woman who knows just what it's like to be treated worse simply because she's a woman. She doesn't let that stop her, though. Even in jail, she keeps on working through everything and taking it as it comes.

Riley Blue is next. Riley is a girl who struggles with depression and can be called the heart of the cluster. The entirety of the cluster band together to save her when she is taken by an evil corporation. Riley is one of the only characters I’ve ever seen that deals with a mental illness—especially one like depression—on screen. She also doesn't just sit and cry and do the other things writers tend to do with mental illness. She's depressed, yes, but she gets stuff done and she helps her cluster in any way she can.

Our next character is Wolfgang Bogdanow, a man in unfortunate circumstances. Wolfgang is the brutally honest son of a deceased thief, and he very much follows in his father’s footsteps. One of the first scenes he's in shows him stealing a precious diamond. Wolfgang is one of the fighters of the cluster and is often the one they rely on to help with their battles. Wolfgang is a special character because he is the only character that is not inherently good. Yes, he usually does the right thing, but he's also a criminal and he's also kind of a horrible person, and he owns it. It shows that not every character has to be a hero. Wolfgang is a special mix of a villain and a hero, and it's refreshing.

The last of the cluster is a woman named Kala Dandekar. Kala is a deeply religious scientist living in India. Her work and her brain help the cluster out of some sticky situations. Not only is it amazing to see a woman being a scientist, but it's also particularly cool to see a religious scientist. It shows how religion and science can co-exist quite peacefully when done right. It's also amazing how Kala is a Muslim woman shown in quite a few scenes praying and fasting and doing the things normal for her religion. Too often religion is only shown as Christianity or Catholicism. It's refreshing to see representation of other religions.

My last point on why “Sense8” is probably the coolest show you'll ever watch is its portrayal of healthy, loving gay relationships. Nomi and her girlfriend Amanita and then Lito and his boyfriend Hernando show that people in gay relationships can have relationships that are just as beautiful as straight relationships. Too often gay relationships are painted as promiscuous or raunchy or even just completely unhealthy. The relationships within this show prove that gay is normal and completely okay.

“Sense8” is groundbreaking. It's one of the coolest shows I’ve ever seen and it's so diverse and representative. No matter who you are, this show will amaze you. I promise.