To The Senior On Their Last First Day

To The Senior On Their Last First Day

You have some of the best memories from college and some of the worst, but cherish every second nonetheless, because you can't turn back time.
153

I'm not going to lie, I can't believe this Monday August 28th, 2017 is my last first day of undergrad. The feeling is so exciting, but kind of daunting. I mean, this could be my last time walking onto a campus for the first time. This is my final moments to have the "college experience." I don't know the future, but I do know that things will be okay. I have so much advice that I give others in my position but now that it's me, my advice is different. I told people, "you have plenty of time to figure things out," but honestly I don't. The clock is above my head and it's ticking away. Here are some things I tell myself each day, to make the big changes coming up a little less scary.

One: What is meant to be will be. I can't control the future but I can choose how I handle the present. I can tell what I do now predicts what I do when I finish this year. I can only work towards my goals and never give up.

Two: Never let anyone tell you you can't or drag you down. People are always wanting you to fail so they feel better about themselves. Whether you are being bullied or you have "unrealistic" dreams, no one can take away your imagination. Only you can tear yourself down. If you decide to listen to the hateful, jealous words then that's on you. You are the only one who can hold yourself back, so chin up and move on, because you can do anything you put your mind to.

Three: Breathe and enjoy the moment. I tell myself to enjoy the moments I have left in college, because the big girl world is coming up quickly and I have to be ready. The thoughts of getting my dream job freaks me out, but I tell myself to breathe. Nothing else. Time flies and I can't get caught up in the future because I'll forget the time I have now.

Never waste your time because it's precious, but also treasure every second. The most surprising moments happen when you least expect them, and this year will be my best one yet. This may be my last first day of undergrad but I know that I'll have the time of my life this year. I love school and I'm excited to finally finish it and get my degree! To the seniors having their last first day, spend the day observing everything you see and carve it into my memory. Take your time and watch the little things, because it may be the last time you ever see them. Take everything and store it away for your last last day and you're crying because damn it, you did it. You have some of the best memories from college and some of the worst, but cherish every second nonetheless, because you can't turn back time.