I never thought this day would come.

Scratch that. I never thought this day, college graduation, would come so soon. I was banking on having another year left, but somehow life worked out and I finished right on time. Graduation day is here, and I’m not sure if I’m prepared, but I am ready.

It’s a weird sensation being officially done with school. No more homework or exams or study sessions, now I’ll have to think of a new excuse when I tell people I can’t hang out. I started school back when I was three and went to the preschool down the block, now I’m 22 and go to the university 15 minutes away in a car. School has been a part of my life (at times a forced part) for roughly nineteen years. I learned a lot, and not all of it was in a classroom, so from me to you: a set of lessons I discovered along the way.

1. Connections matter, don’t be afraid to make them

If you know someone, good use it to your advantage. If you don't know, then introduce yourself!

2. It’s ok to not know what you’re doing/studying

Take a bunch of classes based on your interests, take something totally random. Something will stick.

3. You will figure it out

There is always a light at the end the tunnel, and eventually, you will know what your path is.

4. Talk to your adviser

Your adviser is there to help you, so schedule a meeting with them!

5. Study abroad, study abroad, study abroad

In case you didn't get it: STUDY ABROAD!

6. Sometimes you gotta hustle

You do what you gotta do, be it pulling an all-nighter, running across campus or using those connections.

7. Being broke is not the worst thing that will happen to you

Having no money gives you a different perspective on life, what your priorities are and how amazing your friends are.

8. Don’t complain, be proactive

Nobody likes a complainer. If you don't like what's happening in your life, do something about it.

9. Sleep is both amazing and for the weak

YOLO! Seriously, YOLO, 'cause you need sleep to be healthy but staying up to, for example, watch that sunrise makes for a great memory.

10. Choosing to stay in is ok

Deciding to stay in will feel like one of the greatest decisions you've ever made.

11. Choosing to go out is ok

Deciding to go out will feel like a terrible decision, but will be worthwhile.

12. Get involved

Now is the time to participate in clubs, make new friends and build that resume!

13. It's never too late

You wanna switch schools? Make new friends? E-mail your professor for extra credit? Do it.

So from a former college student turned college alum, I hope these pieces of advice help you out, and if they don't, then screw it, make your own rules.