Selling Cars for Charity: How American Auto Auctions Help Make the World a Better World

19

Auto auctions sell vehicles both within the United States and far beyond. Due to the huge demand for used American cars around the world, any car, even old and not on the move, is sold under the hammer for dollars that can be donated to charity. How does this happen?

Auctions such as Copart and the IAAI put up vehicles for sale by both legal entities and individuals. Any car owner can sell their vehicle and make a profit or donate the winning bid amount. In the latter case, the proceeds are transferred to the account of a charitable foundation or non-profit organization.

Note that when transferring a car as a donation, the car owner can count on a tax discount. And the removal of the car is free of charge.

Where do donations go?

Auto auctions have their own charity partner list. There are funds in each state to which funds received from the sale of a donated car can be transferred.

The main organizations Copart works with are the Purple Heart Association and the Activated Ministries. The first helps veterans and their families, as well as wounded veterans. Activated Ministries, on the other hand, supports humanitarian and spiritually oriented projects in the United States and other countries.

The IAAI has been helping non-profit organizations for over thirty years. Through the sale of donated vehicles through the National Vehicle Donation Program, they receive funding to continue their missions.

It is possible for the seller to choose the fund independently, to whom the funds received for his car will be transferred. For example, these can be organizations that care for animals, low-income families, people affected by emergencies, etc.

Buying a donated car

To buy a donated vehicle, you must select the appropriate filter “Donated Cars” in the catalog on the auction website. As a rule, these are cars more than five years old, with normal wear and tear, in motion, with or without damage.

You can place your bids before the specified date of bidding. The highest bidder who wins the auction has several days to pay for the lot by bank transfer.

After completing the purchase, the car is delivered to the new owner. And the proceeds are transferred to a charitable organization. Thus, old and unnecessary cars get a second life, and the finances paid for them serve for the good of society.