Ladies, It's Time To Stop Being So Hard On Ourselves

Because you're doing just fine, and you're a lot stronger than you think.

117
Unsplash

Every day since I was a little girl, I would look into the mirror and be disgusted with what I saw.

At first, I compared my clothes to everyone else's and thought that my fashion sense for a seven-year-old didn't live up to all of my other friends. Then it was my inability to do makeup or properly take care of my skin, where all of my friends in middle school would be gushing over their new eye-shadow palette.

Now, it's my size, where I look into the mirror and constantly hear a voice in the back of my head telling me that I'm fat and that I should try to look like and be as healthy as all my other friends.

My entire life, I have continued to be hard on myself and judge every minuscule detail about me that I could find. If there's ever been a time where I could say that I truly loved myself, it probably has only been for a few minutes at most.

This doesn't only include how I feel on my appearance, but it also affects the daily tasks I do as well. If I don't get the grade on a test that I wanted to, I immediately put myself down for not studying well enough, even if I stayed up until two in the morning going over the material.

It also leads me to feel like a disappointment, because I'm letting my parents down who are constantly saying how much they believe in me, I'm letting my professors down for not being the best student, and I'm letting myself down for not doing as well as I had hoped in this curriculum.

We are born into a society where we constantly are being compared to the other, or where we're being pressured into trying to achieve a certain image that is "acceptable." In order to fulfill this image, we'd have to have a 4.0 GPA, have the best social life, be involved in many different things, and on top of that, be as gorgeous as one of the Kardashians.

And the pressure placed onto us to fit into this image ultimately sparks the feeling of judgment within yourself and leads to putting yourself down more. Deep inside, you know that you can do better to achieve this look, and the fact that you haven't made it yet to fulfill all of this criteria makes you feel embarrassed.

But ladies, this thought process and attitude need to stop.

None of us can fulfill this image, because it's essentially saying that we need to lead perfect lives. And the truth is, nobody's perfect. We all have those moments of failure, or when we're not satisfied with our looks, but if there's one thing I've learned from teaching myself self-love, this is all normal, and you're not alone in feeling this.

Self-love is tough and can't just happen overnight, but it's the key to ending this madness. At the end of the day, you're never going to be just like your other friends, or a model you find on Instagram. Everyone is born differently with different physical attributes or talents, so comparing yourself to someone else is simply a waste of time.

We are all on this earth for a limited amount of time, and you don't want to look back and think that you spent a majority of it putting yourself down and blaming yourself for not being a certain type of person.

As women, people are bound to compare us to the other and make it a contest to see who's the prettiest, the smartest, the coolest, or whatever other adjectives you can think of.

But don't give in to this behavior, because every woman is unique in her own way, and she shouldn't have to constantly be putting herself down because she's not like the person next to her.

Learning how to end this judgment is a process, and it's one that I'm still currently going through, but you will feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of your shoulders. Pushing away all negativity or negative opinions that I've had about me or my body has allowed me to focus on other things in my life that make me happy.

I've also started to learn how to find the things about me that I do love or appreciate, and focus on those attributes. Doing this allows you to lead a happier life, and will ultimately make you feel more confident in your own skin.

So here's to all of you amazing ladies out there who are still struggling with loving yourselves. You are most definitely not alone, because I'm also dealing with this battle. But regardless of what you might think or tell yourself, you are amazing, and you should not let your mistakes or your insecurities define you. And together, let's show everyone else that this is not a competition and that we are amazing for who we are as individuals.