Self-Help From Someone Who Needs Help, Too
Self Love

I Relearned What 'Self-Help' Meant And The Difference Was Amazing

This was an invaluable lesson that I needed to learn.

83
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsaylachance/5240364938/in/photolist-8Z5eVC-oQ6iNk-227HTgb-RMHYCf-HAMMA6-7hhSZq-ijQihP-cR6kxf-8gGX3L-S95f8o-qozZVJ-9WKTBU-VjwGS5-QzjpAJ-rkvnyw-4mdKsv-ckK8Fb-wG8tsN-oLpUFb-qL6qK6-V62ZPB-bSEXjz-bySjxN-9VgVMw-fZLjhn-6xrHwT-99zBYb-BZF11s-Vof7LT-pd5FM2-omH72m-ijPF2c-22scq4T-bofUTF-rigGqd-r42xQm-rigGtE-bMLZgT-mYyMWJ-8EVzfM-rigLPJ-bk4waN-aqFerz-m3x6yB-23rqRva-dRPewo-8ohbeT-cs71bh-qoA5kq-q8fm4h

On October 15, Mr. Cornell Bunting came into my Intro to Diversity for Educators class. Mr. Bunting is an author and actor that came to talk to us about setting goals and taking care of ourselves. His presentation spoke to me in a way that I will never be able to replicate.

I want to start out by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Bunting's presentation. Last week was very difficult for me personally and from the moment that Mr. Bunting started speaking it hit me in my heart and soul. The presentation was exactly what I needed to hear in order to cope and move on from last week.

As an RA, I have to create a bulletin board for each month. My September bulletin board was all about setting realistic goals and how to achieve them, so the first part of Mr. Bunting's speech was like deja vu. Almost all of his points under the "motivating words for the youths" section of his lecture notes were featured on my board. The knowledge that I was able to share all of it with my residents really made me feel good and helped me realize that what I share with them on my bulletin boards is really relevant and necessary.

Two weeks ago I had a one on one with my boss and we set goals for myself in my work and personal life. One of the goals that I set for myself was to start to meditate so that I could start to mentally strengthen myself and keep my mind healthy. The fact that in the lecture notes Mr. Bunting said "establish routine and regular exercise; meditation, prayer or yoga, even if it is only 20 minutes a day to start. This will help you to cultivate discipline" really helped me realize it was a good goal to give myself and helped reinvigorate me to do it because lately, I have been slacking.

When I was younger I always wrote in a journal and I haven't for a long time, but now I am going to start doing so again. I started last night and just wrote about my day and it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders.

Overall I believe the whole presentation was an aha moment because everything he said hit me and affected me in a different way. I am so very happy that Mr. Bunting was able to come in because I feel more like myself than I have in a long time and I really think listening to him speak is a big part of that.