How You Know You're Having An Existential Crisis

So You’re Having Your First Existential Crisis? Join The Club!

The good news is, this definitely won't be your last.

69

There is nothing like your first. Who am I? What does it all mean? What is my life's purpose? Do I have a life's purpose? What is love? Will I wake up tomorrow? Does anything mean anything at all?

If you have found yourself pondering cripplingly depressing questions, reminiscing "the good old days," and blasting every sad song that ever made you feel something into your AirPods on a Wednesday afternoon, chances are you are having an existential crisis.

Congratulations, you have officially met the ambiguous, harsh, and permanent realities of life.

Though you cannot exactly explain or place what you are feeling, rejoice in the fact that that feeling will never really go away (no matter how eerily empty), but will slowly fade and gradually become less consuming as you seek out more meaning for your life. Am I being too negative?

Unfortunately there is not that much to say about existential crises, they just kind of happen (sometimes before you even realize it). They are an essential part of living in the real world which, as we all know, can be pretty garbage sometimes. Everybody has them and if it seems like someone has not, chances are they already have multiple times or they will be soon.

Spoiler alert: No one knows what any of it means and that is what makes it so annoying, you will literally never get a concrete answer from anyone but yourself who, let's be honest, can be pretty unreliable.

But there is also something wonderfully freeing about never really getting a solid answer. It opens you up to the possibility of finding more answers for yourself. Since nobody knows what any of it means, you can spend more time thinking about what it means for you. "Life begins on the other side of despair." I will not tell you how long I thought about how to make that quote sound less morbidly cryptic but honestly, I feel like it is something you just need to feel for yourself.

Stay positive and ride the wave as best as you can! Oh, and good luck, Charlie! (No copyright.)