Make Sure To Take Care Of Yourself

It's week six of the semester. Hell week is upon us. The time we thought we had to settle down and breathe is fully taken away. Tests, major assignments, and projects are all upon us. Like I said — hell week.

In times like this, it is easy to get very caught up in the stress of projects, but through it all, it is so important to take care of yourself.

Taking care of yourself looks different to each individual. It could mean being alone, being with people, doing arts, or solving elaborate mathematics equations. But, overall, it is important that you are doing all of these things as you take care of yourself: you're doing it for you, on your own time, of your own conscience. Let's break these concepts down.

For you:

Plain and simple, you're taking time to make yourself feel better -- for yourself! When you're doing something for yourself, you are replenishing energy that you spent doing the task. As great as doing stuff for others is, the emotional and mental return won't be as great. It's just as important to be emotionally balanced as it is to be altruistic. You can't give what you don't have, remember that.

On your own time:

When you have time, taking a break can be relaxing. When you don't have time, that's procrastination. Don't take a break until you have planned out the time to do so. In the long run, you'll feel much, much better about it.

Of your own conscience:

No one anywhere can force you to do anything, at any time. You have to want to relax in order for it to happen. That being said, if a friend nudges you in the direction of relaxation, it's probably because you're showing the wear of your problems on your face. That means it's getting bad.

Make sure you're checking in with your body in space, meaning that you are aware of how you and your body feels at a point in time. Take time every day to say hello to each of your muscles, and touch base with your emotions. And if you think something is wrong, come to the NC State Student Health Center whenever you need!