5 Self-Care Tips That Will Benefit Any College Student

Just a few things to make your day that much brighter.
154

College is hard. Americans don't agree on much these days, but that is one thing that can be universally agreed on. It's really easy to neglect self-care as you get busy with schoolwork, extracurriculars, and having a social life. Here are 5 things I've learned that help me take care of myself every day.

1. Eat Breakfast

I know, seems easy, right? Well, it's all too easy to run off to your 8 AM without any breakfast. Then, a quick trip to the library and doing laundry and other obligations, and boom, suddenly it's lunch and you never ate breakfast. Getting through my mornings have been so much easier once I started taking the time to eat breakfast. You may lose a few minutes of sleep, but your body will thank you for that fuel later.

2. Actually use your planner

Enough said.

3. Don't get back in bed

Okay, so I haven't been doing such a great job with this one. Although, I have found that the days where I get up and stay up, I am much more motivated and feel physically better. It's so easy to crawl back to bed after that 8 AM, but I promise you'll feel so much better getting into bed at night knowing that you had a productive day.

4. Make exercise a priority

It's so easy to make a plan and say you are going to the gym and then never actually go. I have found that when I work out, especially in the mornings, I have a productive day, I feel physically better, and I eat healthier throughout the day. Working out in the morning definitely helps me put down that cupcake at lunch when I think about all the hard work I've already done.

5. Know your limits

One of the best things I've learned in college is you are never required to do anything, except go to class. Technically, you aren't even really required to do that. It's so easy to build our schedule full of social events and it drains us. Never be afraid to say no to something. I have said no to plenty of parties, social events, and even a football game because I knew physically that I couldn't handle it. Nobody will judge you for taking care of yourself.

These are just 5 of the things I've learned in taking care of myself throughout college. There are seriously so many more, but these few things have made my days so much brighter and I hope they do the same for you!