3 Ways To Help You Excel This Semester

It can sometimes be difficult during college semesters to stick to a set routine while juggling life's stressors. As the COVID-19 pandemic has ensued, these emotions and feelings have only heightened in many instances.

Not seeing friends regularly, a differing schedule than pre-pandemic and finding activities to pass the time safely can all pose severe distress that can overlap and affect one's studies. Below are three practical ways to support yourself this semester and in life in general.

1. Setting An Alarm

I know this one may sound complicated, especially when we want to remain under the warmth and comfort of our covers. Setting the alarm (or multiple ones) at a set time every day will get your body in the routine of waking up on time.

Whether you are doing remote or in-person classes, building on this to coordinate with your morning routine will not only help to prevent any rushing for class, but you'll start to feel better once you start and stick with it. Setting the alarm on your favorite song or artist can also increase motivation to get up and get the day started.

2. Having A Planner

I thought my 2020 would be full of productivity, so I opted to purchase a planner where I could write down my class schedule, assignments, extracurriculars and any arising lists. Even though I ended up not having much use for it as initially planned due to all the changes that occurred during the pandemic, it helped keep me organized.

As college students, and humans in general, it is impossible to remember every little task we need to complete in our lives. However, we can aid our natural forgetfulness by keeping a planner or journal to look in and add to whenever a new task, assignment or activity arises.

3. Meditation

Becoming centered and grounded when surrounded by the busy-ness of life can be necessary to move forward healthily and successfully. Meditation allows us to do just that. When we meditate, we briefly shut out any lingering thoughts and outside distractions, only focusing on ourselves and remaining in the present.

Meditation has no time limit and varies between individuals. Whether it be a five or 10 minute session or something lengthier, such as for 30 minutes to an hour, we are allowing ourselves to stop and breathe each time we meditate.

Discovering which meditation position works best for you and your body is also vital to feel comfortable. Sitting upright with your legs crossed or laying on your back or side are all helpful.