Self-Acceptance Vs. Self-Improvement

Self-Acceptance Vs. Self-Improvement

Dissecting the motivations by which we choose to accept or improve

165
Self-Acceptance Vs. Self-Improvement
Photo by John Sting on Unsplash

Self-acceptance and self-improvement are both invaluable movements within the spheres of social interaction and mental health.

The former seeking to bring a sense of peace and self-love and the latter to bring about positive change, often in the form of better somatic health.

The "versus" in the title is not meant to evoke a competition but a comparison, focusing particularly on the process by which we choose to accept or improve ourselves. I recently came across a little blurb online, the where and by whom escape me but the focus of the piece was maladaptive self-improvement (my moniker), essentially people self-improving for the sake of running away from something or trying to fix some perceived inherent flaw (i.e. work out to improve your health not because you can't stand to look at yourself in the mirror).

It's a fair criticism and something most of us, I dare guess, don't consider much. Whenever we announce a commitment or step towards self-improvement everyone (ideally), is eager to cheer us on - by all means go to the gym thrice a week, please do put yourself out there to get more dates or make more connections, it's admirable of you to forego the party to study for the big exam or put more hours in at the job, etc.

The behavior might merit encouragement but does the motive?

I myself am a bigger fan of the "why" than the "what" and I can assure you that everyone who's ever clapped at my behavior would be appalled at the motive.

Self-acceptance on the other hand is a tad harder to dissect. The concept of simply accepting something about myself without striving to "fix" (operative word there) it borders on sacrilege for someone like myself, who prides themselves on relentlessly clashing with any perceived vicissitudes of fate. I almost equate it to self-awareness. Being funny, gregarious, or kind doesn't solicit too much introspection but being fickle, moody, or jealous perhaps should.

It seems indolent bordering on irresponsible to simply "accept" that my affections are fickle or my presence mercurial and failing to improve upon those, I should be aware of them and control for them. Fickleness is sort of a vulgar example but the idea stands - if you're sensitive should you accept that or try to thicken your hide? Conversely, if you're stoic do you remain so or try to smooth your edges out a bit?

There's no clear answer, and it wouldn't be any fun if there was.

Before you, dear audience, accuse me of bearing dark words on dark wings I recognize that most situations for self-acceptance and self-improvement stem from well-adjusted circumstances. A simple desire to be fit and healthy or the need to address a concerning blood test result is a fine reason to self-improve. Acknowledging that you're a sensitive soul and being proud of it is a fantastic reason to accept it and continue on.

Self-examination is a progressively difficult thing to accomplish as the world becomes more and more designed to distract us with relentless (often hollow) stimulation and responsibilities mount to the point of asphyxiation. I thought this was something worth examining that receives very little thought or at least open discussion.

As always, I simply invite you to examine and evaluate though I vehemently implore you not to ruminate.