Selena Gomez's Kidney Transplant Brings Up The Importance Of Organ Donation

It's the ultimate sacrifice.

245
Top Music Universe

"Last week, actress and musician, Selena Gomez, released a very personal announcement on her Instagram. The 25-year-old former Disney darling posted three photos announcing that she had successfully received a kidney transplant over the summer, in which she explained was the reasoning behind her social media hiatus. Gomez, who has been diagnosed with lupus emotionally explained the status of her overall health and graciously thanked her donor and friend, Francia Rasia.

@selenagomez: "I’m very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of. So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering. It was what I needed to do for my overall health. I honestly look forward to sharing with you, soon my journey through these past several months as I have always wanted to do with you. Until then I want to publicly thank my family and incredible team of doctors for everything they have done for me prior to and post-surgery. And finally, there aren’t words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa. She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis. Lupus continues to be very misunderstood but progress is being made."

Lupus is a chronic illness, that most often affects women, in which the individual's antibodies are not able to differentiate foreign cells and disease from the healthy tissue; thus the antibodies begin to attack the body itself. While symptoms can be managed through prescription medicine and chemotherapy, which Gomez has stated that she has taken, currently the best treatment option is for the patient to receive a kidney transplant.

There are many other diseases that doctors suggest patients seek organ transplants, however, the market for organ donations is extremely scarce. Unless a patient is able to find a volunteer to donate their organs, like Gomez, often patients are forced to wait on a list with numerous other people until an organ with the right match becomes available. This process can take months, even years until the patient is able to receive the transplant. This leaves thousands of ill people to manage their symptoms until the transplant or potentially die before ever receiving one.

However, this could change if more people volunteer to become organ donors. Now, this doesn't mean that you have to give up a lung or kidney while you are currently living. However, after you pass. organ donors are able to save countless lives, including the occasional A-lister. Afterall, why waste a perfectly good organ through cremation or burial when it can be used to save the life on another?

If you would like to learn more about lupus or how to become an organ donor, just click on the blue links provided.