Seeking Joy Around The Holidays

Seeking Joy Around The Holidays

Finding the joy of the season when you just don't feel it.

15
Seeking Joy Around The Holidays
Pexels.com

The Christmas season is upon us. The stores have their decorations, sales, and candies. The neighbors have their roofs lined with lights. In my hometown, there's a church that puts up this Christmas tree sculpture-type thing. It's an annual occurrence, it probably started before I took my first breath, and I passed it driving home yesterday. Yes, it is the Christmas season indeed. I'll be there first to tell you, I find no hesitation in being joyful for the season. I'm the type of person playing Christmas music in September. Truthfully, I've hummed holiday tunes in July. For me, the joy sort of lasts all year. But, I understand that for many, the joy never really comes. So if you see all the twinkly lights and peppermint flavored drinks and feel no excitement for the days ahead, this article is for you.

First of all, I think the first step or way to find joy in Christmas (or in any season of your life) is to find where that said "joy" is derived from. It can be from familial gatherings, having time off work or school, finding gifts for others, dreaming about the gifts you'll receive, the Christmas story being told in church, and/or much more. There is a multitude of reasons and ways one can find joy in the season. I think the main thing you have to do, though, is look for it. Shopping can be stressful, you can be broke. I understand that (I'm a college student). So let your loved ones know they won't be getting an expensive gift and break out the crafts. Spend time sipping on hot cocoa and laughing over your seriously uneven lettering. Personally, I am one of the worst card makers. I have to make about three for each person before I actually get an acceptable one to give. My problem: spelling. And though I have my phone next to me at all times so I can use spell check, the second I feel cocky and capable, it all goes down hill. It took me years to learn how not to groan at this, but now I laugh and move onto the next attempt. There must be simple things about December that make you smile, focus for two minutes on what those could possibly be, and dwell in them for the rest of the season.

Now, while I just said to dwell in what already makes you happy, I would also highly suggest trying some new things. If Christmas is coming and you simply cannot find any ounce of joy besides the cookies you plan on jamming into your mouth later, I would say look around at the things you have never tried. It took me until I was around 13 years old to try eggnog and it's delicious. It took me until last week to finally watch "A White Christmas" and that movie is amazing. I'm positive next year I will come across something I've never tried and I'll have to sit down and give it a go. Truthfully, I will most likely adore it, whatever it is. Maybe you've never tried baking your own cookies, maybe you've never been ice-skating, maybe you've never bought a beautiful ornament for your own tree. The tasks can be huge or tiny or any size in between, but if it's a holiday tradition for others or even something never thought of before, I'd say give it a try. You have nothing to lose, but only joy to gain.

Think back to your childhood, too. To Christmas morning. To the smells and feel of the morning. To the way your house looked when the lights on your Christmas tree were the only thing lighting up the living room. Think back to breakfast, to supper, to all the sweet treats you munched on between meals. Think back to laughter and to your dog stuffing his face in your new gifts or your cat curling up in the wrapping paper. To the feel of fuzzy socks and the sound of your siblings arguing. To the dull sound of the TV playing or the sizzling of bacon on the skillet. Think back to the bows cluttering the floor and the feel of gathering wrapping paper in your hands. Think back to anything and everything that made up your Christmases as a kid, because they were magical.

That's the thing about Christmas, it's magical and warm and soft and, well, joyful. But it is only so if you let it. There are many other ways to find joy I'm sure, so find those ways too. I guess I would say to look at it as a quest; you are seeking joy for this season. And the next one, and the next one after that. Sooner or later, the act of enjoying the simple, trying the new, and reminiscing about the better, will become natural and you will be finding joy daily. It's a process and I'm sure there will be trials. I'm sure wrapping presents will get annoying and the joy will dissipate, but turn up the jazzy, beautiful music or the happy comedy about an elf in New York, and keep going. Keep seeking joy.