Seeing Is Believing

Seeing Is Believing

Would It Kill You to think differently?

5
Seeing Is Believing

What if I told you that you did not have to be all for one and one for all on a particular belief you hold? “The Matrix,” quotes aside, I believe that there is a problem with today’s society and how people choose to believe. More than likely everyone is steadfast in a certain belief, a certain idea that is concrete to them and will never change. Ironically this conversation is started by me, someone who has the word “Steadfast,” tattooed on their right arm. For example, on the political spectrum some people are whole-hearted Liberals, and some are die-hard Conservatives.Fun fact: George Washington thought seperating polticial parties was a HORRIBLE idea. Now you may believe in whatever you like, everyone is entitled to their opinion and what not, however without pushing my political views, I like to pick from both sides. The problem with today’s society is that even the people who are open minded tend to have a tunnel vision when it comes to certain things, and that stepping back and look at both sides gives you a better perspective on things.

Before you ask “What could you possibly mean Stephan?” (I am a big fan of rhetoricals.) It is easy to hold onto your opinion and to never let it change. Personally, I used to be one of those people who were so grounded in what I thought was right no one could change my mind. However, you’ll find if you open your mind, gain perspective, even listen to someone else explain why they think the way they do, it can change you. Let’s take something like religion. Some people believe in their respective afterlife, the idea of a possible divine creator we join once we pass. Others are atheists, those who do not believe in anything. I have had countless conversations with believers and nonbelievers, and to shut down any one argument would be ludicrous. My favorite part about these conversations is just to listen. To hear someone so passionate about their belief tell you why they believe that they are correct. Now to play devil’s advocate, I simply ask little daunting questions to tease people, I might even be a little crazy in that regard. However if I simply dismissed someone as a theist or atheist, I would have that tunnel vision I mentioned early. When you are in a tunnel, you can only see forward or behind. The moment you pass through that tunnel, you see the sky. You can see to your left and right, everything brighter by a multitude. That is the beauty of listening to someone else talk, to open your eyes. I believe that it takes quite a bit of maturity in order to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, and once you leave that tunnel way of viewing things, your perspective grows.

I myself come from a public school background. Tons of kids with different religions, races, gender identities, and those who come from all walks of life. Say what you will about public school, but you cannot capture the melting pot idea of America without them. I met those who spoke different languages, those who saw me as different, when my whole life I saw them as different. Even through small talk, you can discover people are more alike than not. I know people who have dealt with others only like them, and they hold their beliefs. I worked at HomeGoods for about a year when one day a woman came in, a particularly interesting woman. At the time I had stretched ears, essentially giant pieces of body jewelry that were about ⅞’s of an inch. This woman questioned me ruthlessly about body modification, and why someone would do that. I explained my own beliefs and views on the subject, and began to talk about others. The Ursi tribe in Africa uses lip plates, stretching the skin on the bottom lip through body piercing, as a means to show a dowry for when a young woman is to be married. The size of the plate is equal to how great the dowry was. We discussed the Apanti tribe, whose women would purposely modify themselves to look unattractive to other attacking tribes as a means of survival. In Bali, teeth were filed down because they were believed to be the cause of negative emotions, spite, anger and greed. In the Kayan region of Thailand, women elongate their necks as it is a sign of beauty. This woman may not have agreed with me when she left, but I gave her insight into something new she could research, to gain knowledge about. In a way, she was led out of the tunnel.

Regardless of your beliefs, I challenge you, the reader; go out and learn something that opposes what you believe in. Please take the time to consider someone else’s perspective. You do not have to put all your eggs in the “This side is right,” basket. In fact that is something extremely close minded to do. Whether or not you agree or disagree with my views, with a friend’s views, or a complete stranger’s, try and learn why they think this way. There are over seven billion people on this planet, not everyone will agree with you. So consider asking yourself the following questions. The first one is “What do I believe in?” The second being “How can I learn more about my opposing views?” Once you answer these questions, I hope you leave the tunnel and see the beauty of the sky.