Seat Belts on School Busses & Free Tampons at School

State Legislatures Around the Country Passed More than 21,000 New Laws in 2017

200

If you’re like any young adult my age, you probably have Snapchat downloaded onto your phone. And what’s on Snapchat? Stories. News stories from your favorite magazines and gossip sites. One Snapchat story that I frequently read is The Washington Post’s.

While clicking through their stories of the day, I came across an article written by Valerie Strauss where she talks about all the news law that just went into effect regarding schools across the country. I found each and every one of them interesting, but here’s a list of the one I found to be the most compelling.

CALIFORNIA

Ending "meal shaming"

Across the USA many school districts with give some students “snacks” or make them work for their lunches when their parents are behind on payments - often called “meal shaming”

My grandmother often tells me stories about how she washed dishes so every one of her siblings (FYI she has 12 siblings) could eat lunch, and that was back in the 50s. But every time I hear that story I get upset. No child, no matter if they’re 5 or 17, should have to work for their school lunch. I honestly believe it should be provided for all students, you never know if that meal will be their only meal of the day.

California has now constructed a new law that bars meal shaming.

Human Trafficking Education

California does it again by offering students in grades 7-12 the opportunity to be educated about human trafficking. Students will learn how to identify human trafficking situations and how to prevent them.

ILLINOIS

Feminine Hygiene

Illinois public school must now provide free tampons and sanitary napkins of schools grades 6 - 12.

I found this new law interesting because at my former middle and high school, feminine hygienic products were given out for free by the school nurse. All you had to do was ask. However I see how this law might make more nervous students feel better - I was always taught never to be ashamed of being a girl. Periods were just part of the circle of life, and have always been easy for me to talk about. However, not everyone was raised the way I was.

You go, Illinois.

MARYLAND

Low-Performing Schools

“The legislature overrode a veto by Gov. Larry Hogan to pass a law limiting options for how school districts should deal with low-performing schools. It bans the use of charter school conversion, voucher programs, and the creation of a “recovery” school district that oversees low-performing schools” -- Valerie Strauss

Now if I understand this correctly, schools with low performance will not be given the options to boost the performance. This new law sounds like it will be doing more harm than good. Because of school is low-performing does not mean the students who go to that school deserve to have options taken away from them. Some of those students would thrive at charter schools - which are more creative and less “stick by the book” - other students are in dire need of recovery programs and vouchers.

What’s up, Maryland?

TENNESSEE

School Buses

School bus driver now have a age restriction - they must be at least 25 years old. This law was placed after a 2016 accident involving a 24-year-old bus driver who was speeding and talking on his cell phone when he crashed his bus and killed six children. The law also put more requirements in place for bus drivers but doesn’t require seat belts.

Interestingly enough, the other T state (i.e. Texas) passed a law that is pretty much the opposite.

TEXAS

School Buses

New school buses purchased by school districts must now have shoulder-to-lap seat belts! Texas installed this law due to an accident that happened back in 2015 when a Houston school bus flew off a bypass and children died.

VIRGINIA

Computer Science

Totally cool, Virginia is now the only state that has adopted mandatory standards for all districts in computer science.

How awesome! Though I’m sure not every student, teacher, or parent feels that way. Like many people, I think technology is our future. Having mandatory classes on how all this technology stuff works would have been pretty cool when I was in school (hey that rhymed!)

Sadly, North Carolina (where I live) has put no new laws in place when it comes to schooling - but who is surprised there? Oh well, maybe one day!

For now we can at least be happy and somewhat proud of some of the states listed above their improvements their making in the education system.