"Merry Christmas" Vs. "Happy Holidays"

"Merry Christmas" Vs. "Happy Holidays"

To generalize or not to generalize

70
"Merry Christmas" Vs. "Happy Holidays"
Onvacation

Trees are almost naked and temperatures are dropping, with many news statements of snow coming it's obvious to state that the holidays are here. Speaking as a person living in the U.S, many people are Christians or part of that umbrella so it is typical for them to celebrate Christmas during these times and the whole point of Christmas has turned into a commercialized event in this country anyways. Even people of no particular faith get the Christmas get up and participate in such events. Well, nowadays it is appropriate to say "happy holidays" from November, because of thanksgiving, to January since its a constant flow of events. Even though saying merry Christmas was the appropriate thing to say because of it's ties to Christianity and major popularity in this country. In America we have not only Christmas but Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and the non-religious celebration of the winter season. Now this all seems reasonable, we are a growing country and a diverse one at that; so we must conform to please people of all backgrounds. Sadly, there are not a lot of people that agree with that logic and thus, will throw hell for the erasing of their special holiday.
There is no way to argue as well because there is no time to explain the rationality of "Happy Holidays" in a manner of appropriate time unless they're friends or relatives but even then it is still a hassle to explain that this season is meant to make everyone appreciate it. This has happened at work for sometime in the current and other jobs I've had. One day in mid December a stranger would just say "merry Christmas" and to that I'd reply "happy holidays" and the face of utter disgust overcomes their smile, it's shocking actually. Most of the population that does not favor this phrase movement are older people around 35+ and it is quite awkward when someone completely out of it just stand between and watches without knowing a harmless exchange of words and not a total verbal offense.
The way to make this speech transaction less damaging though is to say it with a smile as if you did say "Merry Christmas" and not be uncomfortable about the glare or shock in people's faces. Sometimes just smiling and saying nothing works just as well or looking down after saying it. Though it is nothing to be ashamed of there will always be people that don't want to be so concerned about everyone else around them. In the end we are in a country made of other cultures and for one to feel superior to the other is just illogical and we see this with the "Starbucks outrage" and other scandals this season is to let loose and prepare for a new year wouldn't being less uptight make the world a better place?