"Searching" Is Fantastic Due To Representation and Craft

'Searching' For Your Next Favorite Movie?

Look no further!

18
Instagram

"Searching" is a new thriller movie that premiered at Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2018. It was then released to the public on August 24, 2018, and is playing in theaters now! It was directed by Aneesh Chaganty and has grossed over $15 million worldwide. Critics gave the movie positive reviews, complimenting the acting, screenplay, and visual execution. It is one of the smartest movies out there, with plot twist after plot twist, to an ending that you'll never see coming.

Searching is about David Kim's search for his teenage daughter when she goes missing. It is filmed from a unique digital perspective - entirely made of screengrabs, television clips, and camera visuals. The perspective is a new way to tell a story and has been employed by other hit movies, like Unfriended. In this digital age, it's unsurprising that a movie could be told entirely from first-person digital perspectives.

The movie has an incredible amount of detail from the creators. Down to sidebar advertisements on the computer screen, every detail matters and has noticeably been thought through while building the web pages. Especially considering how young and lesser-known Chaganty is as a director, he blew minds with the high quality of the movie and riveting story.

Moreover, as an Asian American, I appreciate that race was never a big factor in the marketing. It is very uncommon to see the leads of a movie being Asian, and especially these days, the Asian community tends to go wild when a movie like this comes out. People will tend to put a lot of emphasis on how important the race factor is, and will lose focus on if the movie is great or not. For Searching, race was never brought up when the movie was advertised. The movie spoke for itself and was marketed for its great acting and screenplay. It is a great step in Asians having a bigger presence in the film industry, and it's even greater that the step was made subtle.

If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth seeing. View it in a theater to get the full experience while you can!