The Seahawks After Week 13

The Seahawks After Week 13

The win over Philadelphia and the crowded NFC.

28
The Seahawks After Week 13
Patrick Olde Loohuis

What a game last Sunday. I have to admit, I did not expect the Seattle Seahawks to perform at such an elite level and come out on top of a battle with one of the most dangerous teams in the National Football League. Their showdown against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday Night Football has already marked a turning point in their season, as well as my view of the team this year as a whole.

Coming into this game, I had doubts about the Seahawks. They may have defeated the San Francisco 49ers on the road the previous week, but that team is now 2-10, and Seattle suffered a crushing loss to the Atlanta Falcons at home the week prior (I was unfortunately at that game).

In addition, the team had suffered injuries to key players Cliff Avril, Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor throughout the season. And with a nonexistent running game and inconsistent offensive line, I was largely unconvinced that quarterback Russell Wilson could put his team on his back and carry them to victory against the league-leading Eagles.

And yet, something in the back of my mind softly emitted the phrase, “We have a chance.” I kept that mindset as I watched the game in its entirety. I was genuinely surprised by Wilson’s ability to stand tall in the face of adversity, even though he has done it numerous times before.

One of my primary frustrations with Russell Wilson is his inconsistency. In certain points of a game, he simply will not do anything. This usually happens early in a game. Wilson and the Seahawks have lacked the ability to start off strong offensively this year, just like most other seasons.

It is when the fourth quarter comes around that Wilson and his squad really heat up and fly across the field like the mascot of their team. This time, they came out with guns blazing, scoring on their first two offensive drives to accumulate a 10-0 lead. They kept the lead throughout the rest of the game, ending with a 24-10 victory.

What I found even more impressive was the performance of the Seahawks’ defense. Seattle is known for its powerful hard-hitting defense, but with so many injuries to key players, I believed that they would have an extremely rough time keeping pace with Philadelphia’s high-flying offense. The Eagles had scored more points offensively than any other team in the NFL up until Week 13’s loss to Seattle. This was an extremely impressive game from the battered defense and hopefully they will continue their strong play against the Jacksonville Jaguars next week.

At 8-4, the Seattle Seahawks are back in the playoff race in a crowded NFC, and every game from here on out is crucial. There are several NFC teams with winning records crowding around Seattle this year (New Orleans, Carolina, Philadelphia, Atlanta, etc.), and they are all hungry for a playoff spot. The Seahawks must maintain their pace to keep up with the 9-3 Los Angeles Rams, who currently lead the NFC West and who they face in two weeks. For now, Seahawks fans can celebrate this win over Philadelphia and look to the future with optimism.