Seahawks' Margin For Error Eliminated

Seahawks' Margin For Error Eliminated

Seattle can't afford to drop another game if they still want to make the playoffs.

166
Seahawks' Margin For Error Eliminated
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

What an embarrassment Sunday was. Another loss where the Seahawks could not help but shoot themselves in the foot almost every chance they were given. Dumb penalties, poor plays early from Russell, and tremendously poor defense. Coming off a major statement win over the Eagles, one where Seattle looked like their vintage selves, the Hawks laid another egg. It was like watching the Redskins game following the 41-point outing versus Houston all over again.

The offense was out of sync for the first three(ish) quarters again. Russell had his worst start to a game by throwing three interceptions, a season-high and only his third such game ever. Jacksonville may have the league’s best cornerback tandem this season, as both Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye have been playing lights out, but that doesn’t excuse some poor decisions by Wilson. After the first interception, which was off of a phenomenal defensive play by Ramsey, Wilson proceeded by underthrowing Graham and heaving a deep pass into double coverage. Not the plays you want to see the league’s MVP make.

As for the defense, they looked completely lost. They were gashed on the ground and shredded through the air. Blake Bortles looked like Tom Brady all evening. But if we’re being honest, who wouldn’t in that situation? Seattle’s pass rush didn’t even breathe on Bortles. No sacks, and tallied only a single quarterback hurry. Bortles could have filed his taxes with the amount of time he had in the pocket. Once he made the decision to throw, it was almost guaranteed a completion due to the weakened secondary.

The depleted Legion of Boom had been getting lucky the last two weeks. CJ Beathard and Carson Wentz had plenty of receivers getting open versus Seattle, but neither made the plays. Bortles did, and that was the difference. Byron Maxwell was picked on early and often, getting abused each time. I know toast that gets burned less than him.

Unfortunately, injuries did not help Seattle. Defensive Player of the Year Bobby Wagner and Seahawk stalwart KJ Wright both exited early. Wagner has been the glue for this defense for six years now. Of all the tremendous athletes and hall of fame level talent, Wagner might be the one who is truly irreplaceable. The defense is just not the same without him. Not only is he wicked talented, but he is basically the quarterback of the defense by calling all the formations. If Wagner misses any time at all, it could be disastrous.

The Seahawks can hardly afford disaster right now. Currently, they are back on the outside of the NFC playoff picture, sitting at 7th in the conference. The margin for error has officially been eliminated. With the 9-4 Panthers and the 8-5 Falcons (who hold the tie-breaker over Seattle) both ahead of the Hawks, and the 7-6 Packers getting Aaron Rodgers back (they also hold a tie-breaker over Seattle), the Seahawks absolutely needs to finish the season 3-0 if they have any hopes of making the playoffs. Even a single loss will essentially end the 2017 campaign. A 10-6 record will not make the cut in a stacked NFC.

The schedule from Hell continues for the Seahawks, as their rematch with the division-leading Rams is finally here. The Rams have only gone 2-2 during their last four games, but one of those losses came at the hands of the 10-3 Vikings in Minnesota and a two-point loss at home versus the 11-2 Eagles. A loss where they still scored 35 points. Although I have been mostly critical of Jared Goff, I will concede that he does not seem to miss the open receiver all that often. Certainly not like Wentz did on Sunday Night Football. Plus, they get back Robert Woods to be yet another weapon at Goff’s disposal to attack Seattle’s secondary.

If Seattle manages to secure a much-needed win over LA, they still have some life. Losing to the Rams on Sunday would certainly shatter any remaining hopes of winning the division and eliminate any post-season aspirations.

Luckily for the Seahawks, they still have Russell Wilson. Despite some poor throws early (against the league's best secondary by far) he was able to finish strong. Wilson did end with three touchdown passes, including two in the fourth quarter to keep Seattle in the game late. Wilson now holds the NFL record for most touchdown passes in the fourth quarter (17) in a single season. If it weren't for a Graham drop, a horrific no-call on Paul Richardson on fourth down, and the defense allowing a 3rd and 11 conversion late, Wilson might have had an 18th touchdown in the fourth to win it.

Just like all season, the team is resting on the shoulders of Russell Wilson. No lead is ever truly safe, nor is any game ever over until it's over when the opposing quarterback is #3. If there is any hope, Wilson will have to deliver without help.