Are The Seahawks Headed Into A Trap?

Are The Seahawks Headed Into A Trap?

Didn't we all say "no way the Giants can win" all last week... before they beat Denver?

49
Are The Seahawks Headed Into A Trap?
NFL

Last Sunday night, the New York Giants did something no one in America thought would be possible: win their first game. New York was fresh off their fifth straight loss at the hands of the previously winless Chargers, and was dealing with significant injuries to every key player not named Eli Manning. Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall left the game with season-ending injuries, while also losing the number three receiver Sterling Shepherd and starting running back Paul Perkins.

Throughout the week, more bad luck started to pile with news that starting defensive end Olivier Vernon would be out, and that the team had suspended corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Giants were heading to face the Broncos, who were coming off a bye, and their top tier defense in Denver, a place where they hardly lose in September or October. Everyone thought that Big Blue was about to be tossed into a hungry lion’s den draped in sirloin steaks.

Except the Giants absolutely dominated the game. The Broncos were playing as if they were the winless team. Quarterback Trevor Siemian looked absolutely dreadful, throwing two interceptions and playing completely out of synch the entire evening. New York reshuffled its offensive line, which did wonders for Eli Manning as he was hardly touched all game. The revamped line also gave way for a huge night from newcomer running back Orleans Darkwa. New York pulling off the monumental upset capped off one of the most bizarre weekends in recent NFL memory, and proved once more than no team is safe on any given Sunday.

Not even the Seattle Seahawks.

This is not a prediction of a Seattle loss this weekend, but they need to realize that the Giants aren’t going to roll over. Sunday’s game has “trap” written all over it. Before you start saying this is the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard, let me remind you that there were more than plenty of Broncos fans that were expecting an “easy” win. New York is also a lot better than their record would suggest. It’s not as if they are losing every week 40-7. Since week two, all three of the following losses were within five points. With two of those being decided by a last second field goal. Also, Denver was coming off a bye following a week where they downed a division rival by the score of 16-10. Sound familiar? Seattle not only struggles on the road in general, but they also especially struggle when traveling to the east coast. The Seahawks under Pete Carroll have also been just average following the bye week, sitting at a record of only 4-3.

Seattle’s offensive line will have a reshuffle of their own, and not in a good way. One of the lone “bright” spots for this unit has been the guard play of Luke Joeckel, which is a little better than most people give him credit for. Joeckel went in for knee surgery during the bye and looks to be out 4-5 weeks at best. This will throw Mark Glowinski and unproven rookie Ethan Pocic back into the mix for left guard, which does not bring about a sense of relief to anyone in the Northwest. The Seahawks have also made no such move to upgrade the offensive line, squandering yet another bye week.

The Seahawks will be traveling east to face on a Giants team that might very well be playing with a new sense of motivation after winning a game they shouldn’t have, with a slightly downgraded offensive line, and a banged up defensive front. Not to mention their propensity for slow starts and playing down to their opponents ability.

Again, I am not putting the Seahawks on upset alert. But if you're a fan, perhaps don’t be so cocky thinking this will be a cakewalk for them, and don’t be so shocked if the game is much more competitive than you’d think.