The 2018 Seahawks Draft Was Both Surprising And Unpredictable

A summary of the Seahawks' draft.
74

The 2018 NFL Draft has come and gone, and all 32 teams have made notable moves over the course of this year’s selection process. Some have been surprising, and others have been predictable. Both the NFC and AFC could turn out significantly different when the 2018 season commences because of the multitude of moves made by teams in both free agency and the draft this year. The Seattle Seahawks, in particular, made numerous unexpected and questionable moves.

There were many unexpected events that transpired during the 2018 draft. Five quarterbacks were selected in the first round of the draft for only the third time in history. Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was selected first overall by the Cleveland Browns, which left projected star running back Saquon Barkley to slip to the New York Giants at second overall. The Baltimore Ravens traded up to select Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, and the New Orleans Saints traded up to 14th overall to select a project defensive end in Marcus Davenport after it was expected that they would draft a quarterback to eventually replace future Hall-of-Famer Drew Brees.

Perhaps the most surprising move was the Seattle Seahawks selecting a running back with their first-round pick. They drafted San Diego State running back Rashaad Penny with the 27th overall pick. This was perplexing given that Seattle already has the shifty Mike Davis and promising Chris Carson in their backfield, and that they have many other glaring needs at key positions like offensive line and cornerback. Penny led the nation in missed tackles behind or at the line of scrimmage last year, but the Seahawks could still face issues with their running game if their offensive line cannot create running lanes for the backs.

Seattle selected USC defensive end Rasheem Green with their third-round pick. This is the obvious Michael Bennett replacement after he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles. The Seahawks must bolster their pass rush to stay competitive with their defense, which the team prides itself on.

An oddity is that Seattle did not select an offensive lineman until the fifth round when they selected offensive tackle Jamarco Jones out of Ohio State. This is notable because the team’s offensive line has been its biggest liability over the past three years and has hindered their offense considerably. Russell Wilson cannot be forced to run for his life on every other play, and this is definitely concerning for him.

Another abnormality is that the Seahawks drafted a quarterback in the draft for the first time since 2012 when they drafted Wilson. Seattle did this by selected Florida International quarterback Alex McGough in the seventh round, 220th overall. They have avoided drafting a QB for several years because Wilson has always done his job, but Wilson has never missed a single game in his career yet. This was a pick to provide insurance for Wilson if he or backup Austin Davis get injured.

Overall, the Seattle Seahawks 2018 draft has been unpredictable and surprising. Whether their moves will have a positive or negative effect on the team remains to be seen.