SCWEN Women Should Be Everyone's Goals

SCWEN Women Should Be Everyone's Goals

They are goals, af and I don't use that lightly.

96
SCWEN Women Should Be Everyone's Goals
Facebook

This weekend, I had the privilege to attend SCWEN's Third Annual Higher Education Forum and it was amazing! SCWEN, pronounced su-when, stands for Smiling Coast Women Empowerment Network. They are committed to " providing guidance and support for young women as they strive for empowerment, higher education, and embracing a Muslim-West-African-American identity." Although their target community is super specific, after attending their forum, I am convinced all first generation students and all young people in general can learn from this amazing group of women.

SCWEN's Third Annual Higher Education Forum was a day of enlightenment for everyone in attendance. Attendees were able to hear from undergraduates, graduates, council members and higher education administrators from all over the city. Through interactive activities, panel discussions and presentations, we were given vital information about higher education and more importantly we were reminded that regardless of whatever struggles we may face, education is for everyone and is indeed the key to success. In her presentation, Mrs. Angelia Holloway-Pinnock, an Administrator of the CUNY Seek Program at Lehman College was adamant in ensuring that her audience understood how imperative higher education is. In order to get " a seat at the table" as she said, inner city youth need to take that next step. We are in a very tough time in our society and if we want to see change in our communities we need to have all the tools needed to fight this fight - education is one of them.

Attendees got the chance to engage in some very touchy dialogue as well. In the graduate/ post college panel, the panelist talked about the trials and tribulations they faced in their pursuit for their undergraduate degrees. So many of us could relate because as west-African, Muslims, we have so much in common with one another. We saw real life testaments that our cultural hurdles, our religious reservations and the conflicts we face in our own households will not derail us from reaching our goals unless we allow them to. We have to navigate all of these intersecting issues in a way that would leave us whole enough to make it through the fight. Kadi, one of the panelist beautifully stated" Depression is real. We need to take care of ourselves. Depression comes when you don't express your passion. Once you identify your passion, you can apply it to any position you find yourself in". It was so refreshing to hear these words from someone who is just like us, and who made it. SCWEN provides young people with the space to have these painful conversations that everyone needs to be having. I'm sure everyone left feeling slightly more motivated to go out and slay, I sure did.

What was admirable about the whole event was its open vibe and the fact that the speakers and the organizers of the event did not try to force an agenda. What I mean by that is, so many young people are taught once high school is completed, they must go to college and they must get a job and that is the only road to success. That is not what SCWEN is about. They understand their community is not black and white and want everyone to reach their own personal potential and achieve what they are capable of. If college is not for you, that does not mean you give up on education. The women of SCWEN want to motivate their community to be self-motivated and self-determined. You dictate your road to success, no one else can.

The women of SCWEN are remarkable. Coming from where we come from, higher education is a luxury, and is nearly impossible to attain. Yet, these women made it and did not forget where they came from. They are all so young, yet they faced their challenges with grace and are so successful. They are goals AF and I don't use that lightly. I am sure their lives are not perfect but they are proof that we define who we are. They are proof that culture and college can coexist. They are proof that family and independence are not mutually exclusive, you can have one with the other. They are proof that religion can thrive in the 21st century without being suffocating. They are proof that young people can make shit happen! They are proof that immigrants are not destroying our communities- they are actually giving birth to the next generation of game changers!

SCWEN, thank you for such a wonderful event and please keep up the good work. Our communities need you!