Getting Back Into A School Routine

Getting Back Into A School Routine

Time to get back to reality.

58
Getting Back Into A School Routine
Hayley Constantine from Flickr Creative Commons

By now, some college students have been back at school for a new semester. We are all back on the grind to survive yet another semester of classes, work, extracurriculars, and activities. And whether you’re taking twelve or eighteen credit hours, it’s tough getting back into a routine. Especially if you’re classes are spread out during the day, or you’re starting a new major and have no idea what to expect. But no matter what your situation is, a new semester usually means a new routine. You’re taking different classes, they might be all in one day, there might be differences in when you go to class, etc. You also need to make time to sleep, eat, do homework, hang out with friends, and work out. It’s a lot to fit into one day.

The first step to any good routine is to set alarms. If you need to get up early for that 8:30 AM class, you better set an alarm. Or if you don’t have class until noon, set an alarm earlier in the morning so that you can be productive before class. Waking up to an alarm will give you time to wake up and get ready for the day, that way you’re wide awake for class and not rushing around half-asleep.

Another step that’s helpful is to make a To-Do list. That way when you wake up the next morning, you know exactly what you need to get done in order to stay on top of everything. It can be overwhelming looking at a list of a ton of things to get done, but you’ll thank yourself for laying out everything that needs to be completed. You can even add simpler things, to remind you, like going to the gym or showering. Feel free to add things you’ve already done that day to make yourself feel even more productive.

Pack up your backpack the night before. This will ensure you have all the necessary materials for your class(es). And you won’t be running around throwing things into your backpack that you might not need, or something for another class. Make sure your laptop or tablet is charged, too. Or just bring the charger with you to class.

Start reading your textbooks early on in the semester. You’ll be prepared for class discussions and in-class group work. After you’ve spent a few weeks avidly reading the textbooks, it’ll feel weird not reading the materials. You will also gain more knowledge about the subject matter and slay when you take the exams. Plus, you won’t be cramming to read every chapter you miss the night before the test.

The most important about getting into a schedule is making sure you make time to do homework and study, in addition to just reading the textbook. The whole point of college is to learn new things and study the things that make you excited and happy. Homework plays a big part in learning and it helps you understand what you’re doing. If you don’t do your homework, you’re not going to learn how to do what is being taught, and you’re going to fall behind and get bad grades. Homework is one of the most important parts of school, whether we admit it or not.

Getting into a new routine can be tricky. But the more you push yourself to do homework or study, the better off you will be as the semester goes on. Develop a nice routine in the next few weeks, and life will become so much easier.