Saudi Arabia's Guardianship Law: The Quest For Saudi Womens' Freedom

#EndSaudiMaleGuardianshipLaw
162

The Saudi Arabia’s Guardianship Law is a policy that mandates that all females must have a male guardian, typically a father, brother or husband. In this nation, girls and women are not allowed to travel, conduct official business or undergo certain medical procedures without permission from their male guardians.

Recently, women across Saudi Arabia have been tweeting for their freedom and equal rights in eliminating this policy.This creates a high risk of persecution from their guardians in this country.

Some of these tweets have images of women in their abayas holding signs of messages about removing guardianship as it is like slavery. Abayas are robe-like garments that cover the head down to the legs.It is required for women in Saudi Arabia to wear this in public. Another outfit is the niqab, an Islamic long garment that only leaves the hands and eyes visible.

It is known that Saudi Arabia is a theocracy. Religion is in higher ground in this society compared to Western societies.These outfits are another form of sex segregation, for it is supposed to keep wives, sisters and daughters from contact with other men. It is an extreme concern for the men as it holds the females’ purity and family honor.

These tweets have been gaining notice in the Saudi government, also targeting the Muslim and Saudi society, as this policy has been going on since 1979. After the Grand Mosque Seizure (1979), the Saudi Arabia government implemented stricter sharia laws, reforming the culture for girls and women, losing their rights as an individual entirely.

This law in Saudi Arabia is basically imprisonment for the women. If a Saudi woman is caught breaking the guardian law, the family or husband can forbid her from her passport, studies, even leading to abusive confrontations. Filing police complaints towards their guardians is difficult and is usually sent back to their guardians.

The Saudi women want to break free and have more rights.They demand to remove the male guardianship law, as they are capable human beings, and hopefully their words can be reached.The attempts of reform have been limited in the past, since only last year women were eligible to run as candidates and to vote.

These women are getting their voices heard as they can be their own guardians; hopefully the Saudi government will make major considerations in abolishing the male guardianship law.