Sarah Breedlove Is The Unknown Role Model Who Still Inspires Me Today

Sarah Breedlove is the epitome of the rags to riches. Born to slaves, she became the first female millionaire in American history.

105
Wikipedia Creative Commons

When asked who my role model is, my immediate response would be Sarah Breedlove AKA Madam C.J Walker. And people's immediate reaction is confusion. Who is Sarah Breedlove? The first self-made female millionaire. However, her story is so much more than just being rich. Breedlove was orphaned at seven years old, and by 10, she was a domestic worker in Mississippi, undergoing harsh conditions. Like other black women at the time, she began losing her hair due to poor diet, stress and from using products made for Caucasian hair. To combat this issue, she began experimenting with different hair care formulas and hit jackpot in 1910. Breedlove then traveled to the East Coast to give lectures on the “Walker Method” for proper hair care and set up shop in Indianapolis where she made millions a year.

Sarah Breedlove was a champion to her community, creating African American hair care products as well as creating thousands of jobs for African-American women.

I first heard of Sarah Breedlove during a middle school project, and since then, I have always striven to be like her. Even after became successful, Breedlove continued to support her community financially. Her legacy is reflected in my life's goal to give back to my community. I want to solve a problem my community is facing or invent products we need. To better support my community, I volunteered at local libraries and food banks in middle school, and today, I volunteer at the local Furkids Cat Shelter. I like volunteering because the amazing feeling that comes with doing something good for someone else. And I want to spread this feeling to all corners of the world.

Breedlove has inspired me to start a cosmetics company.

Cosmetic chemistry combines my two interests — STEM and giving back to my community. You may be wondering, how do cosmetics help people? It's simple: cosmetics bolster confidence. It may seem superficial and to a level it is, but the truth is, it can be very hard to feel beautiful when you have scars or acne or other cosmetic "flaws." As someone who's struggled with acne not too long ago and still has scars, I understand why both men and women alike turn to makeup. We just need time to learn how to love our features. By formulating products to cover and treat certain problems that others struggle with alone, I can those in my community who have gone through the same struggle.