The Rewards Of Being A Collegiate Athlete

As a collegiate athlete, the positives outweigh the negatives by a good margin.

310
Matthew Doyle

“I don’t think it’s that great of an idea. You need to keep in mind that you’re going to be busy with classes and homework,” said my parents, four weeks before I arrived at my new home away from home, Saint Michael’s. This was said when I was still undecided about running on the Saint Mike’s cross-country team. At the time when I was still deciding, I thought being a runner on a Division II college cross-country team was a stretch. Also, factoring in that I hadn’t really ran seriously in nine months since the end of my last cross-country season in high school, I wasn’t sure if I was going to fit in among a bunch of amazingly fit and gifted runners who possess impressive running resumes. However, when I first had conversations with a junior that was on the team and the head coach of the team, something struck me. After these conversations, I knew I had to come out and be part of the team here at Saint Mike’s. Simply said, these conversations led me to making the best decision that I have ever made in my life, and I am forever grateful.

The date was July 30, three weeks before I arrived for preseason, when I signed up to be part of the team. All I had was three weeks left to get fit before training with my new talented teammates. When I went on my first run in nine months, I was very out of shape, and I started to second-guess my decision. That’s when I turned to the teammate that convinced me to join, and he told me to stick with it and that he was looking forward to me being at preseason. I listened to his advice as I ran every single day leading up to my move-in day. After a couple days of training on my own, my love for running came racing back, and I was so excited to start up another chapter of my running career. I updated my head coach on my progress after a week, and he was satisfied with my effort to get back into shape and that he was looking forward to working with me throughout the season. Also, the fact that my head coach’s biggest coaching philosophy is long-term progress had me really ecstatic.

When I arrived on campus for move-in day and the start of preseason, I was filled with jitteriness. It was strange getting my key for my room and for my parents helping me set up my new “home.” I was excited to start a new chapter of my life and running career, but I didn’t fully believe I was ready to live on my own, as I always had been very dependent on my parents. That soon changed, however. Attending preseason made settling in so much easier. I moved in before those who aren’t athletes, and I took this to the full advantage. I explored around campus, made sure where everything was, and tried out different food in the cafeteria. Preseason was also when I bonded with my new teammates. We started training together, we got meals together, and we hung out together. On the first day of preseason, it was kind of hard to fit in with the upperclassmen but by the end of the week, we started becoming a family.

It’s been two months since preseason started, and I truly believe that deciding to be part of the cross-country team is one of the best, if not the best, decisions that I have ever made. Being part of the team has made the college experience way more comforting than if I hadn’t chosen to be a member of the team. I know it sounds cliché, but the team is one big family. We have spent so much time together and we have learned a lot about each other. We run together, we go to the cafeteria together, we hang out together, and we occasionally go to parties together. Honestly, we pretty much do everything together including studying together at study hall on Tuesday nights.

Personally, I haven’t been able to train with my teammates as much as I hoped for this season. I was bothered by a cold, and then I dealt with a lingering leg injury which led me to spending more time in the trainer’s room than out at practice with my teammates. Even with these setbacks, I still felt very much part of the team. My teammates were very supportive, and I really appreciated all of their positive words about me staying the positive person that I am. When I am able to race, I’m not the top finisher and I don’t finish in the top 10 for Saint Michael’s. At the end of the day, though, where I place on my team really doesn’t mean that much to me. Yes, I would love to be one of the top guys, don’t get me wrong about that, but I still find myself smiling after each and every race. I’m thankful to be running every day in college with a great and humble group of teammates who have quickly become my brothers from other mothers and my best friends. College wouldn’t be the same without being part of the cross-country team.

You might be thinking about why I told this story. I believe my story about deciding to be part of a small Division II college cross-country team can apply to everyone that’s an athlete at the college level and those athletes in high school that are thinking about playing a sport in college. People often ask if being part of a team in college is worth it. With homework, studying, other extracurricular activities, socializing, and just plain old sleep, college can be a very busy and hectic four-year experience. To add a sport to that list? Some believe it’s impossible to be a collegiate athlete with all the time spent at practice and games. Although, it’s rare to find a good chunk of time to be by yourself, being a member of a team in college can be one of the best decisions that you can make in your life. The benefits and rewards of being an athlete are endless. If you’re on the ropes of deciding to be a collegiate athlete, go for it, because if you decide against it, you will most likely regret it.

Writer’s special note: I would like to give a special shout out to Tyler Colbert who convinced me to join the SMC XC team, Coach Joe Connelly who has been a very big help and makes me want to be better every day, my teammates who I love spending time with, and last but not least, my parents who have thoroughly supported me with my decision. I am forever thankful for these people.