Sage & Other Cleansing Techniques You Should Try

In this day and age it is no rare occurrence to be stressed out or surrounded by negativity. There are several techniques, some of which have been around for thousands of years and used by ancient Native Americans.

62
Life Hack

Cleaning your space is vital. If paperwork piles up, you recycle it. If dirty laundry becomes a mountain of clothes, you clean them and fold them and put them away. But what do you do if you can’t relax, negative occurrences surround you, and you are stressed more often than not? You cleanse.

In this day and age it is no rare occurrence to be stressed out or surrounded by negativity. There are several techniques, some of which have been around for thousands of years and used by ancient Native Americans. Although there are many cleansing methods, there are three that you should truly consider using immediately.

1. Sage

Burning sage (aka smudging) has been done for thousands of years with the intention of removing negative energy and clearing energy from a space. People smudge their rooms, homes, offices, and even belongings. You can smudge pretty much anything. What does sage do exactly? Well, scientifically speaking it changes the ionic composition in the air. Burning sage – specifically white sage (for protection) – clears any negativity in an area that may have been built up over days, weeks, months, or years. You do not necessarily need to burn the sage. Given that people have allergies or live in areas where it may not be best to burn something, there is sage spray that works just as well. You may want to use sage when you move into a new home, begin a new job, after an argument, or before meditation, amongst other situations.

2. Palo Santo

Palo Santo, literally translating to “Holy Wood”, is a sweet-smelling wood. It is similar to sage in that it clears away negative energy as well as enhances creativity and brings good fortune. This does not necessarily need to be burn for you to feel its effects. The aroma from the wood can fill a room without being burned. Traditionally, Palo Santo is used for relieving symptoms from the common cold and flu, asthma, allergies, migraines and headaches, stress, anxiety, depression, inflammation, and so much more. The list truly doesn’t stop.

3. Himalayan Salt Lamps

If you are sensitive to scents or can’t burn anything in your space, Himalayan Salt Lamps are a perfect way for you to clear energy. Himalayan salt has many health benefits when ingested, but as a lamp the benefits are endless. These lamps are relaxing to look at and give off a comforting, soft glow. Using it as a night-light or home/office decoration can bring down stress levels. When lit, the heat from the salt lamp improves air quality. It neutralizes the air and attracts pollutants. The lamp attracts moisture, bacteria, and allergens in the air leaving the area a bit cleaner. Therefore, these lamps are great for those with allergies.

I have personally used each of these techniques to cleanse my aura, space, and mind. After smudging with sage and Palo Santo (and using the sprays) and using a Himalayan Salt Lamp for nearly two years, I have noticed a difference in my space. I noticed my space having a more relaxing vibe, my stress levels have without a doubt decreased, and my allergies have subsided a bit during those high-allergy months. The smell of sage and Palo Santo is intoxicating, though may not be enjoyed by all. Luckily, there are sprays and other methods that can still give you the benefits of removing negativity. If you are open-minded enough to try these methods, I highly suggest you try right away and start reaping the spiritual AND physical health benefits.