How to Prepare an Enjoyable First RV Road Trip

20

You felt excited when you bought your recreational vehicle, and now the thrill is even bigger since you are finally going to embark on your very first road trip with it. This vacation is going to be different from everything you have done so far. As it is the case with all firsts, there is a fair chance to overlook some important details, so here is a list of all the things you should check and do prior to setting off on your big adventure.

Take it for a test drive

Surely you have already done this before the purchase, but you could definitely make use of a few more hours behind the wheel. Since this is your first RV, it takes some time to get used to switching lanes, or driving it uphill and downhill. You'll also never forget to secure the drawers if you see anything flying out of them during a sudden turn.

Check the weather

It almost goes without saying, but make sure you always look for the forecast for a longer period than the length of your trip. Experiencing a storm in the middle of your journey is going to make it memorable, though not in a good way. Also, bad weather increases chances of accidents.

Check the paperwork

In short, collect all the necessary documentation. You should have your credit cards, cash, ownership documents, a map (in addition to the GPS device), and emergency telephone numbers. Furthermore, you never know what can happen on the road, so it's highly recommendable you get some kind of insurance, such as Good Sam Extended Warranty Protection, since this type of mechanical breakdown insurance comes with quite a few benefits.

Make a plan

Even though exploring the great outdoors with an RV seems to be a personification of spontaneity, you still need to have some fixed points, especially if you have small kids on board. Campgrounds get booked sooner than you think, so you had better do that on time. They are very convenient because you can find the necessary RV hook ups there, as well as other facilities. Don't take this for granted, though – always ask for details about their electrical, water, and sewage hookups.
As for the Wi-Fi, don't always count on it. Some campsites can be so crowded that it's almost impossible to get a good connection.

Glorious food

Surely you have in mind what groceries and snacks you're going to bring, but is your fridge in order? Turn it on 12 hours before you set off to check it's working properly. In order to cook food, you'll need pots, pans and dishes, too.

Ways to have fun

To make the trip truly enjoyable, think of different ways to entertain yourselves both indoors and outdoors. Bring cards, board games, or tablets. Kids can do some projects or some coloring activities. To really make the most of your vacation, do some research on what is going on in the area you are traveling to. Perhaps there is a festival, a funfair, or some interesting landmarks to be visited. Camping and time in a campsite needn't be the only highlights of your trip.

Necessities and extras

We have already mentioned some documents, but here is what else should be checked off the list.

A Swiss army knife, flashlights and a complete first aid kit are a must. You should also bring some medications just in case, as well as an insect repellent (there probably won't be a pharmacy around the corner when you need one). Toiletries are on the list, too.

RVs are quite spacious, so you can definitely bring your bikes, sleeping bags, hiking boots, as well as pillows for ultimate comfort. You needn't pack lightly when it comes to clothes either, but bear in mind the weather forecast.

So, you can finally get a taste of adventure and satisfy your inner nomad! Prepare well, and you will fully enjoy the whole experience.